Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy question for very small moms

Posted by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 1:21 PM
  • 32 Replies

I am 26 weeks pregnant and I'm very petite. With my first pregnancy (my daughter) I only gained 13 lbs and she was 7 lbs 6 oz, so a good size! I always measured right at the week I was when I was pregnant with her (like at 26 weeks I measured at 26 weeks and so on). This time around with my son I'm already measuring a week ahead at 26 weeks ( I measured at 27 weeks). I have only gained 4 lbs though but that's because he seems to be so big hes taking up all my stomach space. Eating is very painful and I have to eat very tiny portions every 2 hours to try and help that issue (per the suggestion of my doctor).

Luckily when they checked him on ultrasond hes right on par and actually measuring a little ahead as well. So I know even though im having a difficult time hes doing great!!

My concern is, he already seems to be on the bigger side especially for my size. I'm really scared hes going to be huge at birth and I'm afraid of how I will make it the next 14 weeks when I'm already having issues with eating. Its getting harder and harder when it comes to eating, I don't know what its going to be like at 30-35 weeks. 

I guess what I'm getting at is I'm afraid I'm not going to make it to the end. Everytime I eat it hurts, im constantly in pain now. I didn't have this issue with my first pregnancy but I'm having it this time around.

This is my 26 weeks shot.. From how small my bump looks I cant believe im measuring ahead!! Im definitely starting to feel panicked. Anyone else been here??? 

by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 1:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jul. 31, 2013 at 1:26 PM

Your OB will tell you if anything is wrong.

Decemberlov
by Gold Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 1:27 PM

I'm 4'11 and 110lbs - with my 2nd I only gained 20lbs but I felt huge!!! I also had a difficult time with eating but just kept all my portions very light and small. I think she would have been pretty big considering she was a month early and weighed 6lbs 4oz. (emergency c section - she was breach, they tried to turn he and it put my into labor).

1likeme
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 1:29 PM
If you are in that much pain I think you should speak with your doctor about it. Possibly your primary care doctor. Your belly is still low enough that eating should not be causing you that much pain. I would make sure that nothing else is going on.
Italiancouture7
by Platinum Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 1:29 PM

Quoting Decemberlov:

I'm 4'11 and 110lbs - with my 2nd I only gained 20lbs but I felt huge!!! I also had a difficult time with eating but just kept all my portions very light and small. I think she would have been pretty big considering she was a month early and weighed 6lbs 4oz. (emergency c section - she was breach, they tried to turn he and it put my into labor).

Yikes that makes me nervous lol... Ya if I eat really small portions like 6 times a day instead of 3 full meals it helps a lot. But even with those tiny portions I feel like ate so much and feel sooo full. If I eat a normal sized portion I feel like im dying so I cant do that at all. Weve stopped going out to eat too because the portions are so large and those really kill my stomach.

crumpy_gat
by No. on Jul. 31, 2013 at 1:29 PM

Holy crap you're tiny, how can you be measuring ahead?  Weird.  With my ds I was measuring 3-4 weeks ahead, and ended up having him early.  They estimated he would have been 11 lbs if full term.

zachsmom19
by Bronze Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 1:30 PM
I was 95 pounds before hand. With both my boys. My first son I was 135 pounds. My second son I was 145 pounds. Zachary was 6pounds 3 oz. Aiden was 7 pounds 5oz. Good luck with the new baby.
Italiancouture7
by Platinum Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 1:32 PM

Quoting 1likeme:

If you are in that much pain I think you should speak with your doctor about it. Possibly your primary care doctor. Your belly is still low enough that eating should not be causing you that much pain. I would make sure that nothing else is going on.

Ya I talked to her about it and she told me its because im so small. She told me to eat every 2 hours and eat VERY tiny portions, instead of 3 regular meals a day and 2 snacks. If I do that I dont have the pain but I still feel very full. If I try and eat a regular sized portion it hurts really bad. Like for dinner we had baked potatoes, hamburgers and grilled veggies. I could only eat like 3 ites of the potato, half of the hamburger and a couple of veggies and I felt soooo full.. But it didnt cause me any pain luckily. This didnt happen this early with my daughter. I dont know why but my doctor didnt seem concerned??

Decemberlov
by Gold Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 1:33 PM

awww sorry - didn't want to scare you. I honestly can't say if she was breach because she didn't have enough room to turn or not...don't know.

Have you tried any protein shakes or slim fast...something to get vitamins and all....maybe liquids would be better than solids? Obviously you can't do this for every meal but maybe for breakfast?

Quoting Italiancouture7:

Quoting Decemberlov:

Yikes that makes me nervous lol... Ya if I eat really small portions like 6 times a day instead of 3 full meals it helps a lot. But even with those tiny portions I feel like ate so much and feel sooo full. If I eat a normal sized portion I feel like im dying so I cant do that at all. Weve stopped going out to eat too because the portions are so large and those really kill my stomach.

Italiancouture7
by Platinum Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 1:34 PM

Quoting crumpy_gat:

Holy crap you're tiny, how can you be measuring ahead?  Weird.  With my ds I was measuring 3-4 weeks ahead, and ended up having him early.  They estimated he would have been 11 lbs if full term.

I have NO idea thats why I was shocked when she told me I was. She even measured twice to make sure. I was 4 days past my due date with DD and they finally induced me. I was having contractions like constantly, they would even be a minute apart but I never went into labor. Finally they gave me cervadil and that put me right into labor. I really hope im not late with this one lol ..especially since hes measuring ahead.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 31, 2013 at 1:35 PM
Im 28 weeks preg & went to the dr on Mon. Im measuring 30 weeks, but i have not gained any weight ive lost 5lbs which the dr said i need to eat more. Im not as small as you by any means but i feel the same as you, i cant eat much bc i get full very quick, i feel the baby is out of room.Oh & this is my 3rd baby & prev 2 i gained a total of about 20lbs throughout pregnancy. I keep getting this feeling that she will be born sooner than.expected.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)