Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Where are all the kids???

Posted by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 1:42 PM
  • 4 Replies

I have not seen one single kid outside playing since school let out! We live in a large plan and there are kids of all ages around us and noone is around. I feel bad b/c my boys are always looking for kids to play with and it's always hit or miss.

My boys are 5 & 8.

I know three moms in the neighborhood and another mom about 15 mintues away who have their kids in an either a 9-12 or 9-3 summer camp all summer M-F so it's hard to get together with them. The one mom likes to plan playdates on the weekends - usually when we are doing something fun as a famly/going swimming at the inlaws where my nieces and nephews are (something my boys enjoy) But we still do it every once in a while b/c I don't want to always tell her no since my boys want to play.

I do notice this brother and sister who my boys play with walking or riding bikes around 8/8:30 at night - that's when we are taking baths and winding it down for the night...

I can't say I was against putting my kids in a camp during the summer -  I am a sahm so there was no reason I had to get them out of the house b/c I had to work and had noone to watch them. But I am starting to realize, while we do have our own little routine of what we do around here and playdates maybe once a week - There is only so much playing they can do alone, with eachother or with me. There are a lot of hours in the day during the summer.

I am definately going to put them in some sort of camp next year. That seems to be where all the kids are hanging out.

Is itlike this in your area?

Times have changed so much since I was little.

by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 1:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
MrsDavidB25
by Stacey on Jul. 31, 2013 at 1:44 PM

Well it is 100+ here all summer so most kids do not go out until about 8pm or later. Unless you have a pool of course!

ninjakids
by Christina on Jul. 31, 2013 at 1:46 PM
Its the same here except no one takes their kids out to play except for 7-12 & like... 8-10 at night. My boys are 4 & soon to be 2 and I refuse to let them run around unattended like the other kids (including their age) are allowed to do and I also refuse to be the free babysitter to other children
wexfordmom
by Bronze Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 1:50 PM

Quoting MrsDavidB25:

Well it is 100+ here all summer so most kids do not go out until about 8pm or later. Unless you have a pool of course!

We haven't had a bad summer, mostly 80's. Just one week in the nineties. For the next two weeks its supposed to be in the 70's to low 80's.

littlecolton07
by Rebecca on Jul. 31, 2013 at 1:56 PM
It's so freaking hot here in Texas, it's hard to go outside or to the park.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)