Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Kids and teaching about god, when their brains are not fully developed

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 81 Replies
Wouldnt that be a form of brainwashing?

Shouldnt they be introduced to such a controversial topic when they are fully able to undertsand and comprehend that Jesus and god are "real" unlike santa and the easter bunny?

I mean we teach out kids about these holidays then wammo break their heart and tell them its not "real".
Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 31, 2013 at 1:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TurtleMomma82
by Ruby Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 1:50 PM
7 moms liked this

I don't think it's brainwashing.  We are passing down our beliefs to our children, brainwashing is something more of a false, or abusive thing in my opinion.

SuthernBelleo0o
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 1:52 PM
1 mom liked this

I agree with turtlemomma82. Teaching of our own beliefs and brainwashing are 2 totally different things. 

casah4
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 1:56 PM

It's not brainwashing. I don't care if it's "controversial" for some. It's truth for me. And is the most important thing for them to learn. And, I don't know about other people's experiences, but in my experience, my kids weren't heartbroken over santa and the easter bunny, and neither was I.  LOL

angevil53
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 1:59 PM
Yes if i told my kid there's a sky faerie that eats children who don't sleep until 9am id be condemned.
Wicked.Jester
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 1:59 PM
2 moms liked this

So should we not teach kids anything until their brains are "fully developed?"

Kids can think, rationalize, sort things out....in their own way....and learning critical thinking skills WHILE your brain is developing is crucial.

I am not religious, but I see no difference between a religious family teaching their child religion and me teaching mine moral values.

Should I not teach my children MY moral values until they are "fully developed"......they should go into their 20's with no sense of morality at all?

No.  It is our responsibility as parents to guide our children through religion, through whatever means, the difference between right and wrong and impart a value system that will make them a positive member of society.

That is NOT brainwashing.

Kids eventually figure out Santa isn't real.  They can similarly decide Jesus isn't real if they so choose.

Retrokitty
by Jasmyne on Jul. 31, 2013 at 2:02 PM
8 moms liked this
Its indoctrination.
I think you can teach your kids to think critically and make their own choices about religion without forcing them to believe yours.

Children are not a vessel to be filled but yet a lamp to be lit.

I believe in teaching kids "this is what mommy and daddy believe and here's why. This is what other people believe and here's why. Now you are free to make your choice in what you believe."
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 31, 2013 at 2:03 PM
1 mom liked this

I guess I shouldn't pass down our Polish traditions then either right?

I mean after all that is brainwashing.

billiejo79
by Silver Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 2:03 PM

My dh and I don't teach our children that santa, easter bunny ect are real.

Quoting TurtleMomma82:

I don't think it's brainwashing.  We are passing down our beliefs to our children, brainwashing is something more of a false, or abusive thing in my opinion.

crazymom21
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 2:04 PM

Quoting casah4:

It's not brainwashing. I don't care if it's "controversial" for some. It's truth for me. And is the most important thing for them to learn. And, I don't know about other people's experiences, but in my experience, my kids weren't heartbroken over santa and the easter bunny, and neither was I.  LOL

msslou
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 2:04 PM
1 mom liked this
Your brain is still in an adolescent state of development until around the age of 21.

I share my beliefs with my children. They can choose to believe or not.

Using your argument we shouldn't teach that murder is wrong, or stealing, or bullying, etc.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)