Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I have 2 autistic sons...ask me

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

anything.

Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 31, 2013 at 1:53 PM
Replies (131-132):
NerdyMama82
by Member on Aug. 1, 2013 at 5:35 PM

I have 2 boys, ages 4 and 3, and a little girl on the way. My 4 year old has severe non-verbal autism, and our 3 year old is on the mild-moderate end of the spectrum. (he talks, all day long, but it's mostly things he hears from his TV shows, or mimicking/repeating things he hears frequently from those close to him) 
My question is- How do you deal with it when strangers try to talk to your Non verbal child? Yesterday at the grocery store, the cashier tried to converse with my oldest son, and he just continued staring at the lights, and trying to spin the bagging carousel. I answered for him, but the cashier was obvously irritated with me for not making my son respond to her. I eventually just told her "I'm sorry, but he doesn't talk, and won't answer you himself" and as we were walking away, I heard her mutter "Little twerp" under her breath. It breaks my heart every time a stranger tries to be friendly with him... and I just don't know how to handle it. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Aug. 1, 2013 at 5:58 PM
I would say the same thing you did. I would say: He doesnt speak yet. A lot of people dont understand and they never will. Just be polite. If they have a problem with your child then that is their problem not yours.
Quoting NerdyMama82:

I have 2 boys, ages 4 and 3, and a little girl on the way. My 4 year old has severe non-verbal autism, and our 3 year old is on the mild-moderate end of the spectrum. (he talks, all day long, but it's mostly things he hears from his TV shows, or mimicking/repeating things he hears frequently from those close to him) 
My question is- How do you deal with it when strangers try to talk to your Non verbal child? Yesterday at the grocery store, the cashier tried to converse with my oldest son, and he just continued staring at the lights, and trying to spin the bagging carousel. I answered for him, but the cashier was obvously irritated with me for not making my son respond to her. I eventually just told her "I'm sorry, but he doesn't talk, and won't answer you himself" and as we were walking away, I heard her mutter "Little twerp" under her breath. It breaks my heart every time a stranger tries to be friendly with him... and I just don't know how to handle it. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured