Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I have 2 autistic sons...ask me

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

anything.

Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 31, 2013 at 1:53 PM
Replies (31-40):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 31, 2013 at 7:23 PM
Honest question: how can you say that vaccines did not contribute to your children's autism because they were not normal newborns if they received 2 vaccines at birth? That kind of diminishes any proof.
Anonymous
Honest question: how can you say that vaccines did not contribute to your children's autism because they were not normal newborns if they received 2 vaccines at birth? That kind of diminishes any proof.
Anonymous
1 mom liked this
That's pretty hypocritical.

Quoting legobaby:

Do you get so sick of people talking about autism being over diagnosed or an invented illness like I do? My son has some developmental delays and was diagnosed PDD-NOS and I'm already getting stuff like my BFF on Facebook talking about how autism spectrum disorders are over diagnosed. I do think a lot of things are over diagnosed. Autism may be one of them. I definitely feel that way about ADHD, bipolar disorder, and some others, but even though my son is a mild case, I know that there are some things that are much harder for him than the typical person. It breaks my heart every time I see it because he's only 4 and I don't know to what extent it's going to affect his life.

So do you take it personally like I do? :)
elzingah36
by Gold Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 7:24 PM
Do you yourself think that autism is overly diagnosed nowadays? My son got a diagnosis at 4 1/2 yrs old in January of 2001. That was the earliest they'd do it. I not only needed a diagnosis from a family doctor but
also a psychiatrist and neurologist!
Apparently nowadays a simple
teacher can make a "diagnosis" and
family doctor approved...one has a
perfect diagnosis. My son was
nonverbal for so long. Also,were your sons ever put ln risperidol? How do you feel about medicating autism children that are high functioning on the spectrum? Sorry for all the questions.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
briansmommy2010
by Ruby Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 7:25 PM
Considering her children are 10 and 12, the vaccine schedule was different when they were newborns. My 11 year old nephew did not receive any vaccines at birth.

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jul. 31, 2013 at 7:26 PM
I honestly think autism is overdiagnosed. Not that I dont think children with high functioning autism have issues or that they dont need therapy. I think that there are the severe autistics and then the high functioning ones. I think there needs to be a better way of defining the 2. My sons are more severe than moderate. I do get sick of other people saying: oh, another autistic... No, my boys arent just another autistic...they are more severe than what those people think.
Quoting legobaby:

Do you get so sick of people talking about autism being over diagnosed or an invented illness like I do? My son has some developmental delays and was diagnosed PDD-NOS and I'm already getting stuff like my BFF on Facebook talking about how autism spectrum disorders are over diagnosed. I do think a lot of things are over diagnosed. Autism may be one of them. I definitely feel that way about ADHD, bipolar disorder, and some others, but even though my son is a mild case, I know that there are some things that are much harder for him than the typical person. It breaks my heart every time I see it because he's only 4 and I don't know to what extent it's going to affect his life.

So do you take it personally like I do? :)
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 31, 2013 at 7:26 PM

what is a "normal" newborn like? 

what was different about your newborns?

Quoting Anonymous:

I dont believe vaccines cause their autism nor do I believe vaccines made it worse. You could tell they werent like normal newborns.
Quoting Anonymous:

did vaccines cause it?

you knew it was coming

briansmommy2010
by Ruby Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 7:27 PM
I'm not sure that I agree that it's easy to diagnose now. My DS was diagnosed 4 months ago, and he had to go through testing with a geneticist, a developmental pediatrician, a speech language pathologist, and a child psychologist. I'm sure there are rare cases where a family doctor or a teacher suggests autism, and the parent runs with it as a diagnosis. But I've never met a parent of an autistic child that didn't go through extensive testing.

Quoting elzingah36:

Do you yourself think that autism is overly diagnosed nowadays? My son got a diagnosis at 4 1/2 yrs old in January of 2001. That was the earliest they'd do it. I not only needed a diagnosis from a family doctor but

nonverbal for so long. Also,were your sons ever put ln risperidol? How do you feel about medicating autism children that are high functioning on the spectrum? Sorry for all the questions.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jul. 31, 2013 at 7:34 PM
We had to go through tons of questionairs (sp?) Tons of forms. The teacher had to fill out forms. The dr, the neurologist, the psychologist. They all had to fill out these huge forms. Then my boys were monitered for 5 days in certain situations the testers presented. They were diagnosed as classic autism. -- My friend just had her son diagnosed and all they did was a basic speech test. That made me very angry and confused. My oldest was on rispiderol for about 6 weeks. He was a walking zombie. We havent medicated either boy since. Any parent of an asd child can chose to medicate.
Quoting elzingah36:

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jul. 31, 2013 at 7:35 PM
The back arch, blood curtling screams (I have never heard a newborn scream like that). They screamed for months and months. Our 1 son never slept.
Quoting Anonymous:

what is a "normal" newborn like? 

what was different about your newborns?

Quoting Anonymous:

I dont believe vaccines cause their autism nor do I believe vaccines made it worse. You could tell they werent like normal newborns.
Quoting Anonymous:

did vaccines cause it?

you knew it was coming

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)