Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I have 2 autistic sons...ask me

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

anything.

Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 31, 2013 at 1:53 PM
Replies (41-50):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 10 on Jul. 31, 2013 at 7:36 PM

My first son was just like that. Kid cried all the time and NEVER SLEPT. forreal never slept..but as far as I know he's not autistic

Quoting Anonymous:

The back arch, blood curtling screams (I have never heard a newborn scream like that). They screamed for months and months. Our 1 son never slept.
Quoting Anonymous:

what is a "normal" newborn like? 

what was different about your newborns?

Quoting Anonymous:

I dont believe vaccines cause their autism nor do I believe vaccines made it worse. You could tell they werent like normal newborns.
Quoting Anonymous:

did vaccines cause it?

you knew it was coming

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jul. 31, 2013 at 7:37 PM
1 mom liked this
We use no outside therapies. Cannot afford them and insurance wont pay out. Both boys are in specialized school programs. Oldest is in a program for education - our 2nd is in a program for severe behaviors.
Quoting WarriorMum:

Don't waste your energy on the likes of her, she isn't worth the effort.

anyhooo..what therapies do you use?

Quoting Anonymous:

Nope. In no way does it make me feel spectacular. I just thought other moms might wanna ask questions.
Quoting Anonymous:

Why? Do you think that makes you spectacular?

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jul. 31, 2013 at 7:39 PM
Hugs Mama - No sleep is no fun.
Quoting Anonymous:

My first son was just like that. Kid cried all the time and NEVER SLEPT. forreal never slept..but as far as I know he's not autistic

Quoting Anonymous:

The back arch, blood curtling screams (I have never heard a newborn scream like that). They screamed for months and months. Our 1 son never slept.
Quoting Anonymous:

what is a "normal" newborn like? 

what was different about your newborns?

Quoting Anonymous:

I dont believe vaccines cause their autism nor do I believe vaccines made it worse. You could tell they werent like normal newborns.
Quoting Anonymous:

did vaccines cause it?

you knew it was coming

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jul. 31, 2013 at 7:42 PM
A good friend of mine got her son diagnosed through her regular pediatrician using a basic speech test. I looked at her like she was crazy. -- In our public school district - a school psychologist will diagnose a child just having 1 - 30 minutes session with the child.
Quoting briansmommy2010:

I'm not sure that I agree that it's easy to diagnose now. My DS was diagnosed 4 months ago, and he had to go through testing with a geneticist, a developmental pediatrician, a speech language pathologist, and a child psychologist. I'm sure there are rare cases where a family doctor or a teacher suggests autism, and the parent runs with it as a diagnosis. But I've never met a parent of an autistic child that didn't go through extensive testing.

Quoting elzingah36:

Do you yourself think that autism is overly diagnosed nowadays? My son got a diagnosis at 4 1/2 yrs old in January of 2001. That was the earliest they'd do it. I not only needed a diagnosis from a family doctor but

also a psychiatrist and neurologist!

Apparently nowadays a simple

teacher can make a "diagnosis" and

family doctor approved...one has a

perfect diagnosis. My son was

nonverbal for so long. Also,were your sons ever put ln risperidol? How do you feel about medicating autism children that are high functioning on the spectrum? Sorry for all the questions.
elzingah36
by Gold Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 7:45 PM
Ah,well your new to all this. Welcome and you will begin to see how the real world is treating autism nowadays. Absolutely it's that easy nowadays. Mg father was a special education teacher for over 25 years and even 12yrs ago people were outrageous diagnosis from adhd to bipolar to the beginning of autism. I'm in my third year in receiving my bachelor's in special education and before I removed my autistic son from our public school system it was the norm. Do some research when you get a few minutes about the over diagnosis of just autism...it'll anger you believe me. My son has had this diagnosis for 12 almost 13 yrs and some of the things that "professionals" have allowed to happen over the years is a complete outrage!!

Quoting briansmommy2010:

I'm not sure that I agree that it's easy to diagnose now. My DS was diagnosed 4 months ago, and he had to go through testing with a geneticist, a developmental pediatrician, a speech language pathologist, and a child psychologist. I'm sure there are rare cases where a family doctor or a teacher suggests autism, and the parent runs with it as a diagnosis. But I've never met a parent of an autistic child that didn't go through extensive testing.

Quoting elzingah36:

Do you yourself think that autism is overly diagnosed nowadays? My son got a diagnosis at 4 1/2 yrs old in January of 2001. That was the earliest they'd do it. I not only needed a diagnosis from a family doctor but

nonverbal for so long. Also,were your sons ever put ln risperidol? How do you feel about medicating autism children that are high functioning on the spectrum? Sorry for all the questions.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
briansmommy2010
by Ruby Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 7:45 PM
Yeah there's so much wrong with that. I know quite a few people with autistic children, and none of them had that type of experience. My sister teaches kindergarten, and has been advised that even if she suspects autism, she is not to say that to the parents, but instead tell them she's concerned about their development and suggest that they be evaluated for special services.

Quoting Anonymous:

A good friend of mine got her son diagnosed through her regular pediatrician using a basic speech test. I looked at her like she was crazy. -- In our public school district - a school psychologist will diagnose a child just having 1 - 30 minutes session with the child.
Quoting briansmommy2010:

Quoting elzingah36:

briansmommy2010
by Ruby Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 7:47 PM
I may be "New" to this on such a close personal level, but I have been exposed to people with special needs (autism included) since I was a child. I'm just speaking of my own experiences, and what I've witnessed around me.

Quoting elzingah36:

Ah,well your new to all this. Welcome and you will begin to see how the real world is treating autism nowadays. Absolutely it's that easy nowadays. Mg father was a special education teacher for over 25 years and even 12yrs ago people were outrageous diagnosis from adhd to bipolar to the beginning of autism. I'm in my third year in receiving my bachelor's in special education and before I removed my autistic son from our public school system it was the norm. Do some research when you get a few minutes about the over diagnosis of just autism...it'll anger you believe me. My son has had this diagnosis for 12 almost 13 yrs and some of the things that "professionals" have allowed to happen over the years is a complete outrage!!

Quoting briansmommy2010:

Quoting elzingah36:

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jul. 31, 2013 at 7:52 PM
I agree: When you get behind closed doors and you talk to other parents with autistic children you will find some strange stuff. Just like my friends son got into 2 programs my sons never got into even though my boys were way worse. I had to hire lawyers to get my kids moved - she didnt.
Quoting elzingah36:

Quoting briansmommy2010:

Quoting elzingah36:

legobaby
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 7:53 PM
I don't think so. It would be hypocritical if I said every other disorder out there is overdiagnosed except what my son is diagnosed with. I'm not saying it's not over diagnosed too. My son isn't even technically considered autistic, but his delays are considered part of the spectrum. What I was trying to say is that it annoys me when I've just told someone about his problems and then they talk about autism being over diagnosed. They can't possibly understand some of the things that my son struggles with. I'm not pretending to know who all is misdiagnosed, but I think there are cases out there.

Quoting Anonymous:

That's pretty hypocritical.

Quoting legobaby:

Do you get so sick of people talking about autism being over diagnosed or an invented illness like I do? My son has some developmental delays and was diagnosed PDD-NOS and I'm already getting stuff like my BFF on Facebook talking about how autism spectrum disorders are over diagnosed. I do think a lot of things are over diagnosed. Autism may be one of them. I definitely feel that way about ADHD, bipolar disorder, and some others, but even though my son is a mild case, I know that there are some things that are much harder for him than the typical person. It breaks my heart every time I see it because he's only 4 and I don't know to what extent it's going to affect his life.

So do you take it personally like I do? :)

WarriorMum
by Silver Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 7:54 PM

What are your hopes and dreams for their future?
In the beginning, for us,everywhere we looked, the news wasn't very hopeful for my son's future. Today he has a girlfriend, will be attending his 2nd year in University despite being diagnosed with Classic Autism 15 years ago. My hubby was diagnose with Aspergers, I couldn't dream of a better man to share my life with.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)