Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Just when you think you know your kids...

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 24 Replies

DD16 she got a job in our local Jcpenny. It was a seasonal job so she could pay for her own stuff and save money and you know just have a job. Jcpenny hired her as a regular and she has been working there since November 2012

Well...July 3 I get a call from her crying and she made me promise her i was not going to get mad, Okay? No problem I promised well it turns out she STOLE money out the registers. Multiple times. They have her on camera taking at least $800. I went down to Jcpenny walked into the LP offices and To be honest I couldn't even look at her. She was terminated and no charges will be made she just has to pay the 800. They went through  her work locker  because they saw her shortly after taking the money, she exited the store and came back with a bag from Apple store and she has to return that but she doesn't have the receipt.  

I am asking for advice. What to do? She is grounded.. Her door has been taken out, no phone, laptop, internet. She had an upcoming trip before school started and she wont be going to that. I am still trying to figure out WHY. I work, her father works. If she needs something she comes to us... She works for ... I still don't understand why. She tried to tell me she was under a lot of pressure in school and us pressuring her but i frankly don't believe her. We are not perfect parents but we have tried to teach our kids to be honest, respectful and to have basic morals..

Wwyd?

Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 31, 2013 at 2:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 31, 2013 at 2:04 PM

BUMP!

PinkHart
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 2:05 PM
I would have had the store press charges
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 31, 2013 at 2:05 PM

That is what me and DH were talking about yesterday.. he wants her to go to juvie.. 

Quoting PinkHart:

mommy_me
by Emerald Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 2:05 PM
So she tells you why and you don't believe her?

I would have made her pay it back and then get her counseling
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 31, 2013 at 2:07 PM

I don't because there is really no pressure against her. All she has to do is get good grades in school and if she wanted to work during school, we were going to support her. Honest to God, we don't put extra pressure on our kids. 

Quoting mommy_me:

PinkHart
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 2:07 PM
I went to juvie at 12 for stealing mascara.

Quoting Anonymous:

That is what me and DH were talking about yesterday.. he wants her to go to juvie.. 

Quoting PinkHart:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 31, 2013 at 2:08 PM

Did it help you later on? Did you resent your parents?

Quoting PinkHart:

I went to juvie at 12 for stealing mascara.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting PinkHart:

disneymom2two
by Ruby Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 2:09 PM

I wouldn't push the store to press charges.  YOU feel there isn't pressure on her but SHE says there is.  Obviously something is up with her.  Maybe counseling will work; maybe there's something going on that you just don't know about.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 31, 2013 at 2:10 PM
1 mom liked this

She would be spending the rest of her summer doing community service and paying back the money she stole plus an interest rate that I would choose.

mommy_me
by Emerald Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 2:10 PM
1 mom liked this
Someone couldn't pay me to go through puberty and the teen years again. There was so much crap going on in my head. So many hormones making kids do stupid things.

I say get her to talk to someone dealing with things like this

Quoting Anonymous:

I don't because there is really no pressure against her. All she has to do is get good grades in school and if she wanted to work during school, we were going to support her. Honest to God, we don't put extra pressure on our kids. 

Quoting mommy_me:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)