Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

*Post-Appointment Edit* Moms of kids with Allergies- Help please!!! *added picture*

Posted by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 2:03 PM
  • 75 Replies

We were sitting around playing a couple of hours ago, and my five year old stood up to walk to the bathroom.  I noticed a couple of red spots on his legs, so I had him walk back to me.  When I looked under his shorts, I found that he was covered in red, slightly raised patches.  They vary greatly in size- from the size of a bug bite to about 1.5-2 times as large as a quarter.  They cover his buttocks, hips, and the backs of his thighs.  He has a few on his forearms and wrists.  A few of the small ones have popped up in the last few minutes on his back.

Is this an allergic reaction?  Would it be environmental since his face and mouth are unaffected, or could it be a food allergy?

We are going to the pediatrician in a couple of hours.  I'm not sure what to expect.

**I have added a picture in the comments on page 2**

EDIT:

Well, the appointment went pretty well.  The pediatrician said that the rash is, in fact, hives.  He said that it could be a food or environmental allergy, but it could also be from the virus he has been battling (all the kids have a little cold).  I'll be keeping an eye on him for the hives to improve or worsen.  I also will be keeping an eye on him the next time he eats chicken or strawberries since those are the two foods he ate close to the onset of the hives.

Thanks for all the advice!!

**LuLu**

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 2:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LuLuThatsWho
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 2:05 PM

Bump

LuLuThatsWho

Bump

LuLuThatsWho

Bump

malibucj
by Platinum Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 2:06 PM

It could be. Is he currently on any medications?  Honestly, I would give him a dose of Benadryl and see if it clears up any. He probably needs an allergy test, so you can find out for sure if he's allergic to anything and what.

LuLuThatsWho
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 2:06 PM

Nope.  No medications.

Quoting malibucj:

It could be. Is he currently on any medications?  Honestly, I would give him a dose of Benadryl and see if it clears up any. He probably needs an allergy test, so you can find out for sure if he's allergic to anything and what.

LuLuThatsWho
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 2:08 PM

Would an allergy test be something that might be done today?  I would think that it would need to be scheduled with an allergist/immunologist, right?

Quoting malibucj:

billiejo79
by Silver Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 2:09 PM

It could be an allergy or it could be many other things. My youngest dd who is almost 7 is allergic to cinnamon and usually just her stomach has broken out in a rash. The last time though she took a bit of a cereal ( store brand frosted flakes)  she spit right out and said owe my tongue. An I immediate checked the box and gave her liguid benadryl and she was fine.

malibucj
by Platinum Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 2:10 PM

It depends on the doctor and your setup. I know here at my local clinic, my sons pediatrician an allergy doctor are in the same building, so if they think it's extremely important, they may do testing the same day.  But a lot of times it does have to be scheduled.

Quoting LuLuThatsWho:

Would an allergy test be something that might be done today?  I would think that it would need to be scheduled with an allergist/immunologist, right?

Quoting malibucj:

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 31, 2013 at 2:12 PM

possibly hives? kids get these when they come in contact with pet dander, or polyester....how about detergent, my kids will develop a reaction if I use a laundry detergent more then a month or so, until I switched to hyprallergenic detergent, give him some benadryl it will help

Chicklets13
by Kris on Jul. 31, 2013 at 2:13 PM

My daughter breaks out in hives and the doc has never been able to figure out why. She seems to be sesitive to temperature changes and going from cold to hot or hot to cold, she will break out in hives.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)