• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

S/O to my own post - What to do with the kids

Posted by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 2:04 PM
  • 10 Replies

I posted about "where are all the kids?"

I need some new ideas for my boys - they are 5 & 8.

I decided to be super creative mom last week and have them do different exercises on the driveway just to get them moving and do something different. Well, my 8 yo didn't want to do it, he wanted to be the coach and he wanted me to do, my 5 yo just went to play with chalk. So that was a bust.

The other thing was play soccer - My older son wanted to be the coach and just ordered me and the 5 yo around the yard.

Bubbles.. They got knocked over after the boys started fighting with eachother to get the bottle.

I admit - they are inside watching tv a lot more than I'd like. I just don't know what to do with them. Everything turns into this big huge fight between the two of them, I get mad and make them go in the house to their rooms and when they come down I make them play. Yes, I MAKE them play otherwise they'd do nothing. Once they get bored with that they tv comes on. That's what they are doing now.

I pretty much sucked from the get-go when it comes to playing or being creative with my children and my patience wears very thin with the two of them b/c they just don't get along...

29 days til school starts.

by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 2:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
destiny3513
by Gold Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 2:07 PM
Aw, sorry. You should put them in a kennel til they get along. Just kidding. That's why I only want one. Good luck.
kgsharber
by Platinum Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 2:08 PM

Get away from the house. Go fly a kite at the park. Go on a scavenger hunt at the mall, go swimming, have a water balloon fight, build sand castles, go for a bike ride, go on a butterfly hunt through out the neighborhood.

Keep trying mama!

wexfordmom
by Bronze Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 2:15 PM
1 mom liked this

I have a ton of anxiety about leaving the house with them. My 8 year old may have a learning disabilty, maybe Aspergers.. He just got tested last Tuesday and we get the results next Tuesday.  Anyway, in public sometimes he just gets weird and says odd things. Like, at the park he says to my younger son, "don't play with those kids, they are bad" It may not sound like much but to me it's horrible. I have anxiety and feel on the verge of freaking out everytime we are in a social situation. He just says odd stuff. Nothing violent or distrubing.. But enough for me to feel anxiety.

My boys don't get along at all. I catch them being nice to eacother like once a day. Being in public is herrendous. I don't want to be judged or looked at like I'm a bad mom b/c of my son.

Quoting kgsharber:

Get away from the house. Go fly a kite at the park. Go on a scavenger hunt at the mall, go swimming, have a water balloon fight, build sand castles, go for a bike ride, go on a butterfly hunt through out the neighborhood.

Keep trying mama!

kgsharber
by Platinum Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 2:20 PM

Well, you are doing them a huge disservice by keeping them away from social interactions. You should just go. Who cares what anyone else thinks? And kids say all kids of weird stuff at the park. We flew kites yesterday and a kid told me I was too old for that. lol.

Good luck bc I could not stay home everyday with my kiddos. That would make me crazy. They need space to run.

Quoting wexfordmom:

I have a ton of anxiety about leaving the house with them. My 8 year old may have a learning disabilty, maybe Aspergers.. He just got tested last Tuesday and we get the results next Tuesday.  Anyway, in public sometimes he just gets weird and says odd things. Like, at the park he says to my younger son, "don't play with those kids, they are bad" It may not sound like much but to me it's horrible. I have anxiety and feel on the verge of freaking out everytime we are in a social situation. He just says odd stuff. Nothing violent or distrubing.. But enough for me to feel anxiety.

My boys don't get along at all. I catch them being nice to eacother like once a day. Being in public is herrendous. I don't want to be judged or looked at like I'm a bad mom b/c of my son.

Quoting kgsharber:

Keep trying mama!

wexfordmom
by Bronze Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 2:25 PM
1 mom liked this

Well maybe I should clarify.  We aren't home every single day.  My older son goes to tae kwon do twice a week. We also went to the park last week, I took the kids to the local pool last month (dh's parents have a pool that we use whenever we want and family is usually over there who the kids enjoy playing with. My 8 yo is normal with them).

We go to the store and run errands etc..

I basically white knuckle it the entire time we are out anywhere.

Quoting kgsharber:

Well, you are doing them a huge disservice by keeping them away from social interactions. You should just go. Who cares what anyone else thinks? And kids say all kids of weird stuff at the park. We flew kites yesterday and a kid told me I was too old for that. lol.

Good luck bc I could not stay home everyday with my kiddos. That would make me crazy. They need space to run.

Quoting wexfordmom:

Quoting kgsharber:

Keep trying mama!

Sassy762
by CAFE SASSY HBIC on Jul. 31, 2013 at 2:29 PM

50 Outdoor Summer Activities For Kids

Print Friendly
I am seriously down to HOURS until my kids are done with school
and I am getting a little nervous . . .
the first few days are always fun, but then the "I'm Bored" whines and cries set in.
Ahhhh!
I rounded up some fun outdoor activities that would be perfect to chase the bored blues away and keep kids from turning into couch potatoes over the summer.
Most can be done for free or very inexpensively and you can help the kids get set-up with these activities and then let their imaginations run wild.
If you did one activity a day, it might get you through the middle of July.
After that, you are on your own! :)
1. Using an old sheet, make art on the lawn.
3. Have a read-a-thon outside (maybe in the shade if it's really hot!).
5. Play a fun game of Drip Drip Splash! (Think Duck Duck Goose with water!)
8. Make your own Hula Hoops.
10. Play Sponge Bullseye.
12. Have a Clothesline Art Show- have the kids make the art, pass our invitations, and make it happen!
13. Make your own PVC Pipe Sprinkler.
14. Play the Firefly Flashlight Game (so fun once it gets dark!)
15. Make your own liquid sidewalk chalk.
16. Paint the sidewalks with water.
17. Play a game of Bossy Ball.
18. Go on a nature scavenger hunt.
19. Make your own Thrifty Sandbox (with a lid!)
20. Go on a bug hunt.
21. Have a neighborhood parade. Dress up like princesses or firemen, decorate your bikes and wagons, even throw candy if you want! Invite all the neighbors to come and watch.
23. Buy some spray bottles at the dollar store and fill with water for a water fight or add some washable paint to the bottles and spray large poster boards to make awesome art!
24. Make your own Marble Launch with a fun noodle from the dollar store.

25. Wrap a piece of masking tape around each child's wrist with the sticky side facing out. Go on a "Nature Walk" and collect items from nature (leaves, grass, small rocks, flowers, etc) and stick them on your masking tape "bracelet". Come home and compare bracelets!

Sassy762
by CAFE SASSY HBIC on Jul. 31, 2013 at 2:29 PM

26. Take chalk to a new level by drawing Chalk Dress-Up Dolls!
27. Start a garden and let the kids do a planting, watering, and weeding.
30. Make a Lemonade Stand.
32. Make these Toy Parachutes and take them to the park. Drop them from the highest points on the slides and swings.
34. Play outdoor Scrabble.
35. Have a Backyard Car Wash (my kids love to wash their bikes and scooters).
37. Find a local Farmer's Market. Come home and prepare a meal with the food purchased from the market.
38. Draw a racetrack on your driveway and race all the cars you can find!
39. Create your own outdoor movie theater (don't forget the concessions stand!).
40. Set up your own outdoor Glow-In-The-Dark Bowling.
41. Make some Pet Rocks.
42. Make your own homemade sprinkler.
43. Make root beer floats.
44. Make your own simple wind chimes.
45. Make your own jump rope.
46. Go park hopping (make a goal to play at a new park each week).
47. Do some texture rubbings on leaves, grass, and other items you find outside.
48. Play "parachute" with a large sheet (like they do in elementary school!).
49. Have a banana split party- provide the bananas and ice cream and asks guests to bring their favorite topping to share with everyone else.

50. Make your own "stomp rocket".Have a happy summer!!
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jul. 31, 2013 at 2:31 PM
1 mom liked this

Get a GPS (they also have an ap for that lol) and go Geo caching sooo much freaking fun and you will see a side of your town that you have never seen before. I do it just about every weekend.

HunnyBabie
by Gold Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 2:38 PM

Two of mine have had a REALLY HARD time getting along; when things got really out of hand, I used a three-legged race velcro strap to "hand cuff" them together.

The enemy of my enemy is my friend might help here; if you could be a common enemy somehow, then maybe you could get them together; put them both on the same project outside (doesn't have to be constructive like picking up sticks, could be stupid like digging a hole), then leave them to it; even if they don't get the work done, at least they'll be complaining about you together and running off to do something else outside (hopefully).  The complaining won't last; make sure there's a consequence (don't tell them in advance) for not doing the work (maybe something stupid like "the hole will be waiting for you to get the dirt out of it tomorrow...", but we can't let our kids KNOW they're getting away with not doing their work.

Another idea I had was to start it out as a picnic lunch or snack; then just let them hang out outside.

Oh, you want them moving right?  Have them pick up one item and put it away.  When they start fighting, send them each to a separate room to get something (ANYTHING) for you.  Send one to get a glass of water and the other to get you an apple; send one to find a pen and the other to bring you the soldier toy from the other room.  Then send them to put your glass by the sink, apple core in the trash (share the apple with them, whatever).  When you get the pen, ask him to get you a piece of paper; when you get the toy soldier (or any other toy) say hey, wait a minute, this isn't mine; could you put this away for me?

IDk what's your goal?  Keep them moving?  Make them get along?

HunnyBabie
by Gold Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 2:40 PM

Oh, I just saw some of the other replies.  One reminded me that there's a site called "educents.com" and they have 100 things to do this summer; all kinds of creative fun summer stuff.  You might check that out. :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)