Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Have to put my dog down : (

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 56 Replies
I'm not sure what to do. My GSD has hip dysplaysia to the point that it is debilitating. Its hard to keep her out of pain these last few days and I think the time has come to put her down. I called the vet and he wants to charge me 220$ to put her down. I find this insane and an insult to pet owners who are already suffering. I'm able to pay it but it doesn't seem morally right. My mind isn't made up about anything yet I know I could let her go on because she has pretty much quit eating at this point anyway, but I can't stand to see her suffer when the pain meds wear off. Any advice?
Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 31, 2013 at 2:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
clo1988
by Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 2:10 PM
At the emergency vet that's what we paid to have our Rottie put to sleep, cremated and for the ern. He had a stroke one night and could no longer eat or walk. I know how hard it is to go through :(
olliesmommy2
by Metal Awareness on Jul. 31, 2013 at 2:13 PM
I'm sorry. We spent over 3k to diagnose and end up putting down our friend Bosscoe in April. I would spend the money and let her have peace.
billiejo79
by Silver Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 2:15 PM

I would spend the money because it's been than letting him suffer. When I had our last dog put to sleep 9 years ago I cried like a big baby for hours.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 31, 2013 at 2:16 PM
I would put her down if I couldn't control her pain. I'm so sorry you are going through this. I know how hard it is.

Do you think you might be misplacing your anger about losing your dog toward the vet? Curious why you think its wrong for the vet to charge for a service? Do you think funeral homes shouldn't charge or doctors if the patient ends up dying? After all, loved ones are suffering there as well.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jul. 31, 2013 at 2:16 PM
I'm a little depressed over this. My stupid Betta fish died this week as well. He actually drown himself. Got into a shell he loved to swim through and couldn't get out (looked like). My dd is in her last year of middle school, my ds is 15 already! I feel like I'm losing everybody! Oh and I take care of an older woman for a living.
Sometimes it's all I can do to hold the tears back. Thank you.

Quoting clo1988:At the emergency vet that's what we paid to have our Rottie put to sleep, cremated and for the ern. He had a stroke one night and could no longer eat or walk. I know how hard it is to go through :(
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jul. 31, 2013 at 2:17 PM
I know I am. She's only 7.5! It's not fair.

Quoting Anonymous:I would put her down if I couldn't control her pain. I'm so sorry you are going through this. I know how hard it is.

Do you think you might be misplacing your anger about losing your dog toward the vet? Curious why you think its wrong for the vet to charge for a service? Do you think funeral homes shouldn't charge or doctors if the patient ends up dying? After all, loved ones are suffering there as well.
Stephd710
by Ruby Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 2:18 PM

You may be able to set up a monthly payment plan with the vet to pay for in advance or afterwards.  My vet let us do that when my boxer broke her toenail off and had to be put under to repair it.  Im sorry :(  

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 31, 2013 at 2:20 PM
Its not fair at all. I sobbed and sobbed when I had to put my lab down. It hurts so much. Give your baby a big hug and lots of love. So sorry :'(

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:I would put her down if I couldn't control her pain. I'm so sorry you are going through this. I know how hard it is.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jul. 31, 2013 at 2:23 PM
Thank you. Sometimes I just sit there with her head in my lap and think about all the joy and security she has given me.

Quoting Anonymous:

Its not fair at all. I sobbed and sobbed when I had to put my lab down. It hurts so much. Give your baby a big hug and lots of love. So sorry :'(

Quoting Anonymous:

wooly
by Knitting Maniac on Jul. 31, 2013 at 2:27 PM

If she's only 7.5 have you thought about getting her hip fixed?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)