Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Lost my temper on BF's FB....

Posted by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 2:13 PM
  • 24 Replies

My BF posted a video of a new trend called "Make the homeless smile". It's two guys going around giving homeless people blankets, water, food, and other things. They also ask that those who watch the video do the same. The following comment war then took place.

BF's Friend: "Unfortunately there isn't a dislike button. Hawk (BF's nickname) wtf is wrong with you.?! Make them smile.? Make them stop begging and get a god damn job.! I been homeless and bounced back fine. It takes motivation.! Not pity not charity not hand outs not lords diner not government it takes gettin off ass and climbing out of a hole to prove you deserve to live."

Me: "You should know how hard it is to be homeless, so how dare you suggest that we should just turn our backs on those who have been delt a bad hand! Oh, and good jobs don't exactly grow on tress, you know. Also, some people CAN'T work due to illness or injury. What about those people? Should we just let them sit out on the streets cold, hungry and alone? Should we not show them basic human compassion, courtesy, and dignity because they happen to be homeless? WTF is wrong with YOU!?"

BF: "Ashley, this is why I love you. Geno (friends name), shut up."

by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 2:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
choaspartyof4
by Platinum Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 2:15 PM
I would have replied the same way you did. How sad his friend thinks like that... Smh
Saydar
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 2:17 PM

Ok

lovemyairman150
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 2:17 PM
I agree with you 100%, OP
Ashley_Carlson
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 2:18 PM

I grew up poor. My family was constantly threatened with losing the house and widing up on the streets. It's kind of a touchy subject for me.

Quoting choaspartyof4:

I would have replied the same way you did. How sad his friend thinks like that... Smh

catrig
by Platinum Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 2:18 PM
Some people are idiots.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Boo.
by Silver Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 2:19 PM
Geno is a dickhead.
Ashley_Carlson
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 2:21 PM

BF doesn't even really talk to the guy. He says shit like this all the damn time.

Quoting Boo.:

Geno is a dickhead.

ILoveBeingAMom1
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 2:22 PM

What a flippin jerk!

our.love.story
by Platinum Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 2:25 PM

I don't agree with how rude he was but it's also not completely untrue. There are plenty that don't want to work, don't want to put forth the effort it takes to find a job and keep it. They also found that many of the ones who beg are actually not homeless. That being said, I always feel bad when I see someone struggling and give them a few bucks or one morning my husband and I bought them some granola bars and Gatorade and sandwiches. It's a few dollars and if it helps someone, great, if they used me, then so be it.

choaspartyof4
by Platinum Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 2:28 PM
Quoting Ashley_Carlson:

Some people just don't have compassion either, you know? It's sad, we give to the homeless in our town too. There's a tent city and I took bags of wheat bread, peanut butter, apples, and some other things over there. Some people I know said it was stupid to be helping them, I completely disagree. We don't know what circumstances got them to that point. And If I can help them get some food in their stomachs, I will. I can see why your touchy about it.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)