Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Would you go to a church party if you are not a member of that faith?

Posted by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 2:13 PM
  • 54 Replies

My kids and I have been invited to one of the LDS wards "bike rodeo" this Saturday.  My kid's are friends with all the kids in this one family and they are pretty active LDS members.  Their little girl asked if my dd could go and she would decorate her wagon and pull my dd around in the rodeo since she cannot ride her bike (she just had foot surgery and is in a cast).  Their mom and I are friends, and she called and invited all of us to go saying that there would be games for the kids and a big free breakfast.   My kids really want to go because it would be fun..... but I hate going to church events because honestly it feels about the same thing as going to a car dealership to just look at cars when you have no intention of buying.   Not sure if that makes sense.. I have no intention of joining the LDS church, and I am an atheist.  I do like to get together with members of the community for events.  But when it is clearly a church event I almost feel like there is the assumption that if I attend the event that I will be showing a glimmer of interest in the religion.  And I hate to say this, but once they think you have an interest, they just don't ever leave you alone.  I mean, it took me most of the summer to shake off the elders after I said hello politely to them one afternoon.... I swear, everywhere I went they popped up, even showed up at the park to play with my kids and again spend 40 min trying to talk me into joining the church!

I dont' want to disappoint my kids, but at the same time.. it almost feels like a moral compromise on my part.. like by participating in a church event I'm signing over my soul (lol.. not really to that extent, but I'm sure you get the point)  What would you do?

by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 2:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
daughteroftruth
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 2:17 PM

bump

Chrissywissy
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 2:17 PM
1 mom liked this

I live in Utah and we are invited to things on a regular basis, and we usually always go. They know we are Christian and are not interested in their church, and we do not get bothered by them about that at all. In Utah it is hard to avoid Mormons, but as long as they know where  you stand and that you are not interested they will leave you alone...as far as joining their church.

That is my experience anyway!

mommytoeandb
by Ruby Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 2:19 PM

sure

Qmama206
by Nobi ❤️ on Jul. 31, 2013 at 2:20 PM
Yeah I would go but as a former LDS member they may try to recruit stick to you're guns if this is not what you want
FaithHopeLove4
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 2:22 PM

i'd go, my kids go to events at a local Methodist church and sometimes their children program, we also go to things thrown by a Catholic church even though I don't have their beliefs..... we are members of a christian church....also my church throws parties and invites the neighborhood...they may hand out a paper about the church or offer church tour to everyone but its up to you to go to them if you want......i'd try it let the kids have fun if you find someone being pushy you know not to go back?

Bigmetalchicken
by Emerald Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 2:23 PM

If I am invited, I will go. 

MomToDarienne
by Silver Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 2:23 PM

Is there tasty food? Lol, I'm just kidding, I'd never go just for the food. I just wouldn't want them to try to convert me? I mean I'm Catholic, and my friend invited me to Christmas dinner at a Baptist church, and there were no problems, but then that's a little different. :/

Jabojoe
by Ruby Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 2:23 PM
My kids are Muslim and we frequently attend events at ds's Christian church. We have done Xmas tea, harvest festival (Halloween), and Easter egg hunt. It can be a good thing to expose children to other beliefs so they learn tolerance. I've always taken my kids there since they were very small and I just explain to them that Auntie believes this and we believe that. That said, if you're uncomfortable with going, just stay home. Maybe the kids could go without you?
WendyJR
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 2:24 PM
Sure
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lalaboosh
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 2:24 PM
I've done it before, I'd do it again.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)