Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Offended!!!! Would You Be Offended? UPDATE

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 105 Replies

Ok so my DD asked to go play at her friends house (2 houses down) and I said sure, this was about 10:30.  Now my friend has 2 boys, 7th grade & 6th grade.  My DD plays w/her DD who is in 2nd & my DD is in 3rd.  My rule is that an adult has to be home wherever my DD is.

I text my friend around lunch time asking her to send my DD home & she text me back informing me she was at the store.  So I walk over to get my child, as soon as she saw me she came running out the door 'I'M SORRY MOM."  She knew she was in trouble.  Well what really upset me was that not only was a parent not there her friend was not there.   Now she has hung out w/the youngest boy a few times which is fine but she went there to play w/her friend.  But she knows the rules.

So I have grounded her from going over to this friends house for awhile.  This is the ONLY house she does this at.  I have had to talk to my friend as well before as she would leave & not let me know & just leave the kids there.  I'm not ok w/that.  This time however she wasn't home when my DD got there so she had NO idea my child was there.

So my DD is grounded from going over there, she can play outside or her friend can come here.  It is only a few days.

Well all was fine but now her friend is mad so now my friend is mad & said she is offended that my child can't come there.  It is NOTHING against her.  If she did this at someone elses house she'd be grounded from there.  No I'm not just flat out grounding her right now, I don't think she'd get it.  She is getting it right now that her friend wants to play inside the house & she can't go.  If I grounded her to this house w/nothing honestly it wouldn't phase her.

Would you be offended over this?

Let me add: we live in a quiet neighborhood and none of us call to see if the kids can play, we all just have the rule is that nobody knocks on the door til at least 10am. 

ADDED INFO: We, none of us, call every single time our kids want to hang out.  If we did that our phones would constantly be going off.

I find it odd that so many think an 8/9yr old, a 3rd grader, shouldn't be able to follow rules by now. 

UPDATE: I talked to my friend & she understands now.  The problem comes in when you listen to your children. Her daughter ran in telling her that my daughter was never allowed to come to their house again, ever.

I reminded my friend that I told her earlier what had happened & the punishment & that did not change. That of course my daughter would be allowed back there. That she was already learning her lesson bc she has already asked I swear 100xs if she could go over & every time is now & she gets upset that she can't go over.

It doesn't take much for my children to learn their lesson (yes she has done this before but the punishment didn't phase her this did), so I am fairly sure I won't have this issue again.

Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 31, 2013 at 2:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
smurfielette13
by Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 2:22 PM
2 moms liked this
Personally I don't get why she's offended. Its understandable why DD is grounded. I honestly would of done the same with my children if I was in this situation but that's just me.
mommytoeandb
by Platinum Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 2:23 PM

I don't get why she is offended either.  She is the one that left your DD at her house.  Doh!

MayBeeIAm
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 2:27 PM
She sounds clueless. Maybe that friend can come to your house because her Mommy didn't follow the rules
SyllabaryBisque
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 2:29 PM

Your friend sounds like a moron... I would have made the same judgment call that you did. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jul. 31, 2013 at 2:29 PM

No this time she wasn't home, just her son's so she had no idea my child was there.

She had left before w/all her kids home & mine there.  I talked to her telling her I wasn't comfortable w/that, that her son's haven't had any first aid training & I wasn't comfortable with it. She understood. I didn't realize how many times she had left & not let me know.  When I found out & said something to my daughter she said "you never cared before, you always let me stay when Ms. B (not giving the whole name) leaves."  That is when I found out it had happened a few times & had to make the rule (none of the other neighbors had ever left the kids & when they left they send the kids home).

But my child has tried to stay when no adult was home & gotten caught so she was punished today.  Kind of like the 3 strikes & your out.

Quoting mommytoeandb:

I don't get why she is offended either.  She is the one that left your DD at her house.  Doh!

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jul. 31, 2013 at 2:31 PM

My child is upset right now bc her friend doesn't want to come over & doesn't want to play outside so now my child can't play her friend.

I pointed out that this is why I chose the punishment I did & that she did something wrong.  She is upstairs pouting now.

Quoting MayBeeIAm:

She sounds clueless. Maybe that friend can come to your house because her Mommy didn't follow the rules

vegaswife2011
by Emerald Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 2:32 PM
2 moms liked this

I fail to see why your dd is being punished..

disneymom2two
by Platinum Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 2:34 PM

She came out saying she was sorry so she knew what she did was wrong.  I would have grounded her completely for a couple of days for disobeying.  

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jul. 31, 2013 at 2:34 PM

Bc she broke the rules.

She went to her friends house.  Friend is not home, adults are not home.  Only the 2 boys are home.  Instead of coming home she stayed.

Rule is no parents you come home.  So why shouldn't she be punished?

Quoting vegaswife2011:

2ltlmonkeyz
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 2:34 PM
1 mom liked this
Me too.

Quoting vegaswife2011:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)