• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I can't stand my in-laws, and its ruining my marriage!

Posted by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 2:33 PM
  • 15 Replies
My husband has never been close to his parents (doesn't call them or anything), but gets upset that I'm not close to them at all. His dad is a creepy old man...it would take too long to give the reasons for that perception, and his mom is just so nervously awkward that its hard to have a conversation with her (not to mention that we don't speak the same language). And on top if all that, her cooking is awful, and DH gets mad that I can't even come close to finishing anything that she makes.

They just left from visiting us for a couple of days, and it was painful. It didn't help that they brought their dog, and I have issues with dogs. DH hasn't said a word to me since they left, and I don't even know how to address this. I'm not a bitch, and I really am trying. What should I do? What should I say?
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 2:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AllaB
by Bronze Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 2:34 PM

Where are they from?

vegaswife2011
by LMAO on Jul. 31, 2013 at 2:35 PM

Wow, I'm not sure. Maybe ask him exactly what his expectations are? 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jul. 31, 2013 at 2:36 PM
3 moms liked this
Honestly it doesn't sound like you're trying at all. It sounds like you're being a whiney, spoiled, picky brat.
mileysmom331
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 2:38 PM
2 moms liked this

well if he isnt close to them why should u be?

New.OrleansLady
by Platinum Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 2:39 PM
I don't like my mil cooking, but I choke it down She doesn't season anything at all. Last time we went there I was grossed out bc her dog and cat shed horribly. We have a dog but he's short haired and hardly sheds.

I know the feeling. They aren't creepy or awkward for me, but thy are different. I'd say try to talk to him. Tell him the lsu gate barrier is hard. The food is culturally different ( I'm assuming since you don't speak the language)
Melissa_4
by Navy Mom on Jul. 31, 2013 at 2:41 PM

Sounds like your husband may be projecting his anger at his lack of a relationship with his parents on to you, OP.  If he's not close with them, why would he expect you to be?

art.diva
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 2:42 PM
Maybe I am. We started dating 12 years ago, and have been married for 7 years. And I have never felt comfortable around them. Ever.

Quoting Anonymous:

Honestly it doesn't sound like you're trying at all. It sounds like you're being a whiney, spoiled, picky brat.
deenakate
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 2:44 PM

Couldn't you have just dealt with it while they were there? Instead of making a big stink, sounds like you may have made things a bit worse. Your DH may have wanted things to have gone smooth, maybe he wants a relationship with them.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jul. 31, 2013 at 2:44 PM
Yeah but you could at least fake it for a couple days. I mean, they are your husbands parents.

Quoting art.diva:

Maybe I am. We started dating 12 years ago, and have been married for 7 years. And I have never felt comfortable around them. Ever.

Quoting Anonymous:

art.diva
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 2:46 PM
They're from Mexico. I speak Spanish pretty well, but only proper Spanish, not slang; so I don't understand them...and no one really translates. And I love Mexican food but she didn't learn to cook until she got married, and it is awful, awful stuff.

Quoting AllaB:

Where are they from?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)