• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I just don't understand.

Posted by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 2:35 PM
  • 16 Replies
A few months there was a hotel fire here in Houston and it killed 3 (I think 3) fireman and wounded others. One guy in particular I believe had to have his legs amputated and they are holding a benefit to help with his expenses.

That breaks my heart, here was a man who selflessly walked into a burning building and now that he's injured he and his family have massive bills. All of that should be paid for. I'm not 100% sure if the money raised is for all bills or just medical but to me every bit of the bills should be paid for him. I don't think he was a volunteer firefighter so why doesn't workmans comp pick up the medical bills?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 2:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
deenakate
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 2:37 PM

Maybe he didn't work for the company that the fire was at.

L202M
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 2:38 PM

We can't possibly answer that question when we don't have all the facts.  We could guess, but what good does that do? Even you don't know if he was volunteer or not.

AllaB
by Bronze Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 2:38 PM

Because we live in an asshole society

Roxygurl
by Sapphire Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 2:38 PM
He was a firefighter.

Quoting deenakate:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jul. 31, 2013 at 2:38 PM

Worker's comp will pay for medical expenses and a reasonable cost of living settlement.  It will not pay for other expenses the family may accrue due to their lifestyle prior to his injuries.  When you go into certain professions you assume the risk associated with that profession.  This is why is it important for families to have a significant amount of money in savings.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 31, 2013 at 2:39 PM

worker's comp doesn't cover all of the bills. Only a certain percentage and then there's a cap off.

Thank goodness there are a lot of good peopleout there willing to help him out. Hopefully, he'll have lots of fundraisers to help him with bills and living expenses.

mrscass0416
by Platinum Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 2:39 PM

was the guy a fire fighter or an employee at the building? If he was neither then I don't think workmans comp would be appropriate

deenakate
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 2:40 PM

Was he off duty?

Quoting Roxygurl:

He was a firefighter.

Quoting deenakate:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jul. 31, 2013 at 2:40 PM

I am in Houston also, it breaks my heart that man is really really sweet. But he will no longer be able to work ever, workmans comp wont cover everything and his wife is unable to work due to taking care of him, then he also has to re do his house to accomodate his wheelchair.

MIA0223
by Emerald Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 2:41 PM
We don't know all the details.
I will say that you don't have to have big bills for a benefit to be thrown.
My mothers pos husband had heart surgery and he doesn't work, he has Medicaid, so no bills and they weren't out any money from him missing work, and his car club threw him a benefit and they raised over 2000 dollars...
They blew it on nothing!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)