Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Seriously considering purchasing a gun....how far would you go to protect your kid

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 72 Replies

My ex has made threats against me and my child.  I am waiting for a restraining order but seriously how good is a sheet of paper?  It won't protect us.  I have the neighborhood on the lookout for him.  But I don't want to take chances with my kid.  All it takes is her walking out to get her dance bag or me being in the shower and he comes in. 

Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 31, 2013 at 3:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Sassy762
by CAFE SASSY HBIC on Jul. 31, 2013 at 3:29 PM
2 moms liked this

I have several guns to protect my family and home. Darlin......do whatever you feel you have to do .

outtamymynd
by Ruby Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 3:30 PM
As long as you know what you're doing, I see no issue. We have guns in our home.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
art.diva
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 3:31 PM

Do you have castle laws/stand your ground laws in your state?

mellienium
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 3:32 PM
1 mom liked this

do what you feel you need to do. make sure you take a gun safety course though, in the event that you do purchase one. 

2ltlmonkeyz
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 3:32 PM
Yup I am in the process of getting one.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 31, 2013 at 3:33 PM

Yes we do.  I am in Texas.  He has no reason to be anywhere near my house.

Quoting art.diva:

Do you have castle laws/stand your ground laws in your state?

LuvmyAiden
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 3:33 PM

You re correct. A piece of paper will not protect you. Self protection is your best bet but PLEASE get the proper training. Having a gun is no use if you can't use it and have a plan. While I totally support women owning a gun, carrying and always being able to defend themselves you should keep in mind that you can't ALWAYS be armed. Schools and govt buildings don't allow it for instance. Be your own bodyguard and principles of self defense are awesome books that everyone should and are full of good options for defense with and without  a weapon. Make a plan for how you will respond should you encounter him in different situations, practice that response alone and with your dd. Whether you choose a weapon or not strategy is important.

MomToDarienne
by Silver Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 3:35 PM

We actually keep guns in the closet. I would never use them unless I felt like I had to, if I go to jail killing someone that threatened my child, then so be it. We nearly had a break in last year, my daughter hadn't been born yet, but if they'd had gotten in, and she had been born, it would have been another story.

blue_elephant
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 3:36 PM
1 mom liked this
I would get a gun, and educate myself on it. Go target practicing, and remember this one rule! Very important! If you pull it out don't just threaten with it, actually use it and shoot to kill! Don't just wound, also don't shoot for the head, it's a small target instead aim for the stomach/torso area, larger target and way more important stuff to hit!

Gl, if you don't feel you can shoot to kill don't get a gun, instead take some self defense classes, get a taser and pepper spray, and have baseball bats at every door, and other not so hard to get to places throughout your house!
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 31, 2013 at 3:36 PM
2 moms liked this

Get a dog. You need a real warning.  My aussie is a great dog-very protective of the house, but great with people.   And Texas is over flowing with Aussies who need adopting-you can get one that is  housetrained and knows basic commands-and will bark to alert you if your ex shows up.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)