Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Donations/Businesses?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 14 Replies

I have a business and we constantly get people coming in asking for donations.  Some and for fundraisers for sick kids or members in the community but we also get a lot for individual things.  For example I had a women come in the other day and she said her daughter would like to go to Europe to study and she was going around to businesses asking for donations.  ???  My thinking is "I would also like to send my kids to another country to go to school but I can't and I sure wouldn't expect someone else to help fund them"  Another one we get all the time is for cheer leading and football.  We will have individual kids/parents come in and say it's to expensive to play football or cheer leading and they are looking for money to  help.  Again...if my kids wanted to play a sport and I couldn't afford it I would not expect someone else to pay for it.  Do people think that because you are a business wecan afford to help out?  We have large expenses and struggle to keep our doors open, I just don't understand why people have it in their heads that businesses are suppose to help out?  And don't even get me started on the ones that come in asking for donations but have never stepped in our door to buy anything.....EVER!!

Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 31, 2013 at 4:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 31, 2013 at 5:08 PM

BUMP!

ElitestJen
by Ruby Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 5:11 PM

Wow.  I've never heard of people doing that.  Don't people have any degree of pride, anymore?  I'm embarassed for them.

Logan_Bellasmom
by Ruby Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 5:14 PM

I ask for them all the time for my job. I have never had a business tell me no But its a tax write off for them.

3JuJu3
by Ruby Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 5:15 PM
1 mom liked this

I would say that we have certain charities/fundraisers that we budget for and can't help out any others.  

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 31, 2013 at 5:17 PM

That is my thinking too.  We live in a small town and we just get hammered with people coming in asking for donations.  I'm just curious why people think it's okay to ask a business?  Why not go door to door?

Quoting ElitestJen:

Wow.  I've never heard of people doing that.  Don't people have any degree of pride, anymore?  I'm embarassed for them.

ElitestJen
by Ruby Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 5:20 PM

Quoting Anonymous:

That is my thinking too.  We live in a small town and we just get hammered with people coming in asking for donations.  I'm just curious why people think it's okay to ask a business?  Why not go door to door?

Quoting ElitestJen:

I think it's absurd to ask anyone, except perhaps family members.  My daughter does fundraisers, but doesn't simply ask for donations.  Good grief.  I will say, a local Mardel will allow the kids to do car washes and they donate the water and parking lot space.  I wonder how many gallons of water they donate throughout the year since there's a car wash almost every weekend from May through September.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 31, 2013 at 5:23 PM

It's not a deductible if it's a donation to an individual.

Quoting Logan_Bellasmom:

I ask for them all the time for my job. I have never had a business tell me no But its a tax write off for them.

Val99
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 5:23 PM

Businesses are for profit and not a charity.  Parents need to be responsible for their own child's extra curricular activities.

illinoismommy83
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 5:23 PM

I have never heard of such a thing. I'm glad we don't have people like that around here.

I'd rather hear your sob story about how you want to send your kid wherever and want a job with tons of OT and will be the hardest worker.

Val99
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 5:25 PM
1 mom liked this

It's only a tax write-off if they are donating to an organization that has the proper "not for profit" charitable paperwork filed with the IRS.  The government doesn't allow you to write it off if your business is donating to a friend, neighbor, or child that lives in the local area. 

Quoting Logan_Bellasmom:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)