Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Does WIC

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 35 Replies

Discourage breast feeding? Yes, I know they try to push it and give away free pumps. Do you believe some women don't even attempt to breast feed because they know they will get free formula?

Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 31, 2013 at 4:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
smorgan865
by Platinum Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 4:56 PM
Free pumps?! WOW, wish I qualified for WIC!!

And I think it's supposed to SUPPLEMENT, not provide ALL the formula for the child. Similar to how FS is supposed to work...but we've all seen those discussions.
meg0620
by Gold Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 4:57 PM
I don't have wic but in my area they highly advocate breast feeding.
casah4
by Gold Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 4:58 PM
1 mom liked this

I wish they had offered free pumps when I was on WIC...

gmoen1977
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 5:00 PM

They rent pumps yes and as for formula there isn't enough given for full feelings, still will have to buy some depending on how much baby eats.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 31, 2013 at 5:00 PM
The pump is a hand pump that attaches to a bottle. Its not something fancy, costs $15 at the store.
I can't stand when people say things like this

Quoting smorgan865:

And I think it's supposed to SUPPLEMENT, not provide ALL the formula for the child. Similar to how FS is supposed to work...but we've all seen those discussions.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 31, 2013 at 5:00 PM
Where I am, they don't encourage our support breastfeeding at all. They were insisting that my ebf baby was too small and I needed to give her formula. Since we weren't getting formula anyway, we could afford all of the things they offered and didn't go back.
JenB1983
by Platinum Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 5:03 PM
My local WIC gives any BFing mother a hand pump like you described. You also get 2 really nice nursing bras and 3 pairs a washable nursing pads. BUT, if you can prove a need(work or school full time) they will loan out a hospital grade, double electric pump.

Quoting Anonymous:

The pump is a hand pump that attaches to a bottle. Its not something fancy, costs $15 at the store.

I can't stand when people say things like this

Quoting smorgan865:

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 31, 2013 at 5:04 PM
WIC definitely encourages breastfeeding. You have to take a class on it and they can get you a free electric pump.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 31, 2013 at 5:05 PM
1 mom liked this

NO!!!  They want you to breastfeed.  The folders (in my state) say BREAST IS BEST.  There are posters all over the offices (we move a lot for DHs job, I've seen about 7 offices) promoting breast feeding.  There is even a poster about how in an emergency situation, you might not be able to find/make formula, but that a breastfeeding mom will be able to feed her baby just fine.

If you qaulify, they'll give you a name brand breast pump FREE.

I would always leave the WIC office with tons of free samples, coupons and freebies because I was bfing.   The WIC ladies always treated my like some sort of sacred unicorn, because in the poor areas we've lived in, bfing past a week (if at all) is almost never done.

when you bf, you get more food.  Tuna, baby meat, more milk and eggs.  

justbreatheOx
by Platinum Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 5:06 PM
They didn't seem to really care where I live.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)