Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

What is the point of carrying a gun?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 54 Replies

To start I would like to say.. This is not a post about my views on gun control. I don't care about others opinion on the topic of gun control at this time.  This is just me asking a simple question on a law that I heard about.

I heard that in some states you can carry a gun on you with a permit. BUT! the law supposedly stated that the gun must not be loaded, it must stay holstered, and that you can not carry ammunition on you with your gun.  So I have to ask, what is the point in having said gun?  What are you going to use it for? If its just so you could point it at a would be attacker and scare him away, that's just stupid.  That's the worst thing anyone could ever do, is to aim a gun at anyone and think that scaring someone is always going to work.  I was taught by my uncle ( who is a US vet, and marksmen) that you never pull a gun unless you are prepared to use it.  Maybe I'm not understanding this law. I understand its to help keep people safe. I understand that sometimes people accidentally shoot people and that's probably why they make laws like this.  But if you are needing to defend yourself against someone, its not like you can tell them " time out a sec, I need to grab my ammo and load my gun " ????! Anyways its crazy to me.. you are better off with a taser or something. At least you can use that.  

Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 31, 2013 at 4:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jul. 31, 2013 at 5:02 PM

BUMP!

PrissyAnne
by Silver Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 5:04 PM
What states have this law? Source?
BeautyGuru
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 5:08 PM

I live in Alabama, I can carry concealed (with a permit which i have) or I can open carry which means its out in the open.  I have a loaded holstered gun on me at all times, which I can quickly get to.  Why do I carry?  To protect my family if I need to.  

ymom3
by Silver Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 5:10 PM
I'm pretty sure in Louisiana you can carry a loaded gun.
RMB2011
by Platinum Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 5:10 PM
Hmm. I know states where if its in the car it must be unloaded but that's more for accidental discharge. What state only allows you to carry an unloaded weapon?
tardistraveller
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 5:12 PM

lol, I'm Canadian, I don't even know where to buy a handgun.  I don't know if they are legal to own.  I know police are allowed to carry them while on duty but not off.  I doubt civilians are allowed to even carry them.

ElitestJen
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 5:14 PM

If you have a CCL or Open Carry permit, the gun is loaded. 

Britta2322
by Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 5:17 PM
Where have you seen that the person carrying cannot have ammo? I have a carry permit and live in Alabama and am allowed to have bullets in the gun.
gizmo538
by Bronze Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 5:17 PM

That is pretty dumb. Though there are some weapons you can load quickly, but still ... you shouldn't have to worry about loading a weapon when your life is in danger. What state made this law?

Leissaintexas
by Platinum Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 5:18 PM

I'm not sure what law this is that you're talking about, but there's really no point in carrying an unloaded weapon. It actually can be even more dangerous. In TX, I can carry open without a permit. You only need a permit for concealed, and you can carry loaded.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)