Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Did you send your "young 5's" to Kindergarten or hold them back?

Posted by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 5:19 PM
  • 132 Replies

We were going to send our 5 yr old to a PreK Plus program this year. His teachers recommended it as he just turned 5 in May and is rather shy. We have changed plans and are going ahead with kindergarten, which is a full day here! We can't afford th $5,500 tuition for PreK Plus and I need to start writing/working more. I'm sure he'll be fine. My oldest was a lil behind in Kindergarten but quickly caught  up and is now an Honor's student. What did you do? Did it work out?

by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 5:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Pink.Frosting
by Platinum Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 5:21 PM

Our son could have gone to K when he was 5, but he was just sooooo not ready.  At this point it means I have a 15 year old just now going into 9th grade - and he'll turn 16 in March - but we still stand behind our decision to start him late.  He really wasn't ready and the extra year of pre-school was good for him.

HappySquirrel
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 5:21 PM
Ours was ready for K when he turned 5. You're the parent so you know him best, but remember to work with his K teacher if he/she has a recommendation.
silverdawn99
by Ruby Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 5:23 PM
Our oldest turned 5 at the end of June he was sent
I turned 5 in the beginning of August and I was sent
ProudMommaBear
by Platinum Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 5:24 PM
I've heard a lot if moms not sure what to do in this situation..
about the whole shy thing, I've always been very shy and have excelled very well in school , shyness isn't really a problem
thankfully ill never have this issue as my DD has a December bday
km1970
by Gold Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 5:24 PM

My oldest turned 5 mid April and went into kindergarten that school year. She was ready to go and we have haven't had any issues. She went to a full day kindergarten.

ProudMommaBear
by Platinum Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 5:24 PM
Also, I turned 5 in July and went, and like I said, I've always excelled. It all depends on the child
sarah824
by Gold Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 5:25 PM

DD turned 5 on June 24th and then started kinder at the beginning of September the same year. She did great and is excited to start first grade this year.

disneymom2two
by Gold Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 5:25 PM
My son was more than ready for kindergarten when he was 5; he has a July birthday and is now in all honors classes in Hugh school. My friend had a late birthday and she was not ready but her parents put her in at 5. She finally started catching up in middle school; elementary was very tough for her. It all depends on the kid.
3JuJu3
by Platinum Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 5:25 PM

I didn't have my son go to kindergarden until he was 5 1/2 (he turned 6 in January of his kindergarden year).  There wasn't really any plan behind it.  He was in a multi-age montessori class that he started when he was 3 1/2, his third year in the class was considered his kindergarten year.  It just sort of worked out that way.  

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 31, 2013 at 5:26 PM
My daughter will be 5 August 8th and she is going to pre-k. It's mandatory here. I held her back a year from pre-k because she had only been 4 for like 8 days when it started
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured