Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Would this make you think twice about this class?

Posted by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 5:44 PM
  • 63 Replies
I don't say the Pledge of Alliegance. I don't care what you think, it's my right not to. And don't even try to say that people are fighting for my right not to. That is not what this war is about.

I told my son that he didn't have to say it if he didn't want to. But he can stand and fold his hands in front of him while other people do it, which is what I do. Well it's my sons second day of karate. They say the pledge before they start class (which is what sparked this conversation with my son). Just now, he went to cross his arms and the teacher wouldn't let off. He said, You have to do what Mr. Kyle says and we say the pledge here." Should I say something to him? It's his class, yes. But I pay for it and my son won't be forced to do something. If he wanted to do it that's be one thing, but he said he wanted to cross his arms.

Despite what you think of saying the pledge, think of it as anything else you wouldn't want him doing, would this make you think twice about this place?

There's really no other karate place around here, by the way. I'm also taking classes here.

Edit-he doesn't cross his arms like he's pouting. He folds them in front of him kinda like he's praying.
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 5:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
allabout11708
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 5:46 PM
I would say that if you feel that strongly about it, say something. If they choose not to comply, then don't send him to classes there. It is your right, after all.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sarah824
by Platinum Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 5:47 PM
6 moms liked this

I think having his cross his arms in front of him is kind of rude. You don't have to say the pledge, but that body language suggests disrespect or defiance. Maybe talk to the teacher and explain your stance and ask if you and your son, since you take classes there as well, can stand with your arms at your side while the pledge is recited.

ttriddick
by Gold Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 5:48 PM
This. Just talk to the teacher. If it doesn't work out, find something else. Or I would. I'm not trying to say you should. That's up to you.

Quoting allabout11708:

I would say that if you feel that strongly about it, say something. If they choose not to comply, then don't send him to classes there. It is your right, after all.

SWasson
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 5:48 PM

I would have a word with them.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jul. 31, 2013 at 5:49 PM

Freedom of speech gives us the right to speak, or not to.  Yes, I'd be talking to the instructor.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 31, 2013 at 5:49 PM
Is it because you don't like the God part?
redhead-bedhead
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 5:50 PM

Just talk to the teacher. If he didn't know about your objections beforehand he might just think your son's being a punk.

lwalker270
by Ruby Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 5:51 PM

Say something to the teacher.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jul. 31, 2013 at 5:51 PM
God just seeing your sn makes me cringe.
SaratheV
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 5:51 PM
I don't mean cross them like I think you're thinking. He folds them in front. Kinda like he's praying. They're by his crotch, not folded in front. Make sense?

Quoting sarah824:

I think having his cross his arms in front of him is kind of rude. You don't have to say the pledge, but that body language suggests disrespect or defiance. Maybe talk to the teacher and explain your stance and ask if you and your son, since you take classes there as well, can stand with your arms at your side while the pledge is recited.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)