Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Crockpot question

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 31 Replies

I have a crockpot never used it before.  I am planning on making a roast tomorrow with red potatoes.  So where do I start? Lol can I just cut up the red potatoes and throw it in the crockpot with the roast and a little bit of water with onions and green pepper? Sorry if this is stupid I just never used t before.  

Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 31, 2013 at 6:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
QuirkyMom26
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 6:58 PM
3 moms liked this

I salt and pepper all sides of my roast first.  Pat on some flour and then sear all sides in a frying pan with a little bit of oil.

Place roast at the bottom of the crock pot.

I take a packet of McCormick's roast seasoning mix and stir in a cup of water (or however much it says) pour over the top of the roast

Cut up potatoes and carrots, salt and pepper them. Place on a sheet of tin foil.  Fold up all 4 corners of the tin foil (like you're wrapping a present) and lay the vegetables on top of your roast. 

Then let that bad boy cook 

Amy_M
by Gold Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 6:58 PM

Yup, put the vegetables on the bottom, I would add a little beef stock instead of water for more flavor.  You van brown the outside of the meat first, but I never do, I hate having a dirty pan and a dirty crock pot to clean

gonecrazi
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 6:58 PM
1 mom liked this

Yes ma'am. that is excatly how you do it.

PookiePanda
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 6:59 PM

I put French Onion powder mix on mine

CafeMom Tickers
mommyziegler
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 7:00 PM
I use all my own seasonings and add onions and carrots and potatoes I use the red russet ones because they are small! I toss a couple beef bouillon cubes on the bottom and a half cup of water as well and let it cook on low all day!
wooly
by Knitting Maniac on Jul. 31, 2013 at 7:00 PM

It came with a book that has recipes to get you started. I use an envelope of French Onion Soup mix & a cup or so of water & a Bay Leaf, nix the potatoes, esp red potatoes, they take forever to cook. Then when it's done I skimk the fat off take the drippings and thicken it with Sour Cream & Corn Starch and then serve it over egg noodles  with a dinner salad. It's yummy.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 31, 2013 at 7:01 PM
Have you tried the lining things that go in crockpots?

Quoting Amy_M:

Yup, put the vegetables on the bottom, I would add a little beef stock instead of water for more flavor.  You van brown the outside of the meat first, but I never do, I hate having a dirty pan and a dirty crock pot to clean

wooly
by Knitting Maniac on Jul. 31, 2013 at 7:07 PM

Since foil willn turn potatoes black, i use a fan steamer and set it on top of the roast and then season the veggies and let them cook with the Roast. It comes out wonderful. I've also done it with a well trimmked chuck roast, douse the roast in bar B Que sauce & just a little water, put the steamer on top, scrub some Russet potatoes and then cut them into 6ths lengthwise and sprinkle them well with Lowry's Seasoning Salt amd let  them steam while the roast is cooking,then remove the roast and with 2 forks shred the meat & add more sauce to taste and serve on a bun with the spicy potatoes. It works well for shredded beef & chicken too.

Quoting QuirkyMom26:

I salt and pepper all sides of my roast first.  Pat on some flour and then sear all sides in a frying pan with a little bit of oil.

I take a packet of McCormick's roast seasoning mix and stir in a cup of water (or however much it says) pour over the top of the roast

Cut up potatoes and carrots, salt and pepper them. Place on a sheet of tin foil.  Fold up all 4 corners of the tin foil (like you're wrapping a present) and lay the vegetables on top of your roast. 

NEMommaOf3
by Give Thanks on Jul. 31, 2013 at 7:08 PM
If you're doing a pork roast, I'm gonna give you the BEST crock pot pork roast tip I was EVER given, 13 years ago and I do it ALL the time: Put the cut up potatoes, onions and peppers in the bottom, put the meat on top, sprinkle it with salt and pepper. Put water in to halfway cover the roast, then pour a LOT of barbecue sauce over everything! Put the lid on, let it go on low for 5 or 6 hours or high for 3...makes the BEST gravy and tastiest meat and veggies ever!
QuirkyMom26
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 7:08 PM

I've never had that problem.  I've made it a dozen times and my veggies come out perfect.

Quoting wooly:

Since foil willn turn potatoes black, i use a fan steamer and set it on top of the roast and then season the veggies and let them cook with the Roast. It comes out wonderful. I've also done it with a well trimmked chuck roast, douse the roast in bar B Que sauce & just a little water, put the steamer on top, scrub some Russet potatoes and then cut them into 6ths lengthwise and sprinkle them well with Lowry's Seasoning Salt amd let  them steam while the roast is cooking,then remove the roast and with 2 forks shred the meat & add more sauce to taste and serve on a bun with the spicy potatoes. It works well for shredded beef & chicken too.

Quoting QuirkyMom26:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)