Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Will you look at my cover letter?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 11 Replies

Hi Ladies,

I recently found a great job opportunity as a lab manager and I've been working on my cover letter. Will you read this and tell me if it sounds professional. Do you think it is too long? How might I go about making the letter more concise? I would love any input! I posted the job posting below in blue. THANKS!

Dear ___________,

This letter is to express my interest in bringing my excellent laboratory and research skills to __company_____. I feel very strongly that my organizational skills and educational experience will prove to be a great benefit to your team. I am a graduate of ___university___ with ___degrees listed____. This position has a definite correlation with my practical knowledge and experience. You will see from my curriculum vitae (CV) that I have been deeply involved in research at ___university___.

As my enclosed CV indicates, my background includes more than three years of service in scientific laboratories with significant experience in:

• Experience in maintaining, troubleshooting, and organizing laboratory testing instrumentation.
  • Understanding laboratory equipment maintenance, setup, and supply ordering.
  • Preparing, interpreting, and presenting data using statistical programs.
  • Utilizing aseptic surgery techniques, microscopy skills, and various scientific instruments.
  • Creating development and training plans for personnel within the laboratory.
  • Undertaking practical laboratory investigations in a safe, responsible, and ethical manner.

In addition to the above skills, I can also offer you:

• Ability to adapt to new testing equipment and protocols. 
  • Ability to plan and prioritize daily laboratory procedures.
  • Ability to work cooperatively and effectively both independently and in a team environment.
  • Ability to direct and coordinate laboratory activities to ensure services are provided on schedule within quality and cost objectives.
  • Flexible schedule, self-drive, and an eagerness for development of extraordinary opportunities.

With world events necessitating the highest standards of instrumentation design and manufacturing, my extensive experience can help meet these needs. I would like an opportunity to discuss the value I can bring to _company___.

Should you have any questions regarding my CV, please call me at the number listed above. I appreciate your consideration and I look forward to hearing from you.

Sincerely,

Me

Here is what the job description says:

Responsibilities of the Position:

• Manage laboratory testing services.

• Setup and organize laboratory testing of customer samples.

• Organize testing results and present the results in report format.

• Perform routine laboratory testing using scientific instrumentation.

• Provide support and troubleshooting for laboratory testing of customer samples.

• Pursue new laboratory procedures to offer as service.

• Follow good experimental procedures with minimal oversight.

• Maintain cleanliness and organization of laboratory.

• Maintain and troubleshoot scientific instrumentation. 

Qualifications:

• B.S. or M.S. degree in Science related field.

• Demonstrated proficiency in science either through classwork or work experience.

• An interest and understanding of the importance and uses of moisture and water activity.

• Self-driven and energized by developing new opportunities.

• Proficiency in Microsoft Office, especially Microsoft Excel including data organization and analysis.

• Good organizational skills.

• Ability to work independently with attention to detail.

• Ability to design and follow best testing practices.

• Ability to learn new skills and assume new responsibilities.

• Ability to work cooperatively and effectively in a team environment.

Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 31, 2013 at 7:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 31, 2013 at 7:15 PM

You know you want to =)

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 31, 2013 at 7:17 PM
I think it is too long. We mainly look at CV's honestly
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 31, 2013 at 8:02 PM

What should I cut out?

Also, I have a question. On the CV, should I include unrelated jobs? There is one job I have that has nothing to do with this particular job posting. I also have done volunteer work at the hospital, but that is also unrelated experience. I'm assuming I should leave it off of my CV. Thoughts?

Thanks for your reply!

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 31, 2013 at 8:37 PM

bump

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 31, 2013 at 9:18 PM
I would take our the "in addition to" section.

You just want it to be brief and highlight your skills to that position. They can see your education info on your CV. Just say after receiving whatever degree at U of __, I gained experience with

All your work should go on your CV, any awards (academic, scholarships, etc),, conferences you attended, academic presentations for posters or abstracts, attach a letter of recommendation if you have one

Quoting Anonymous:

What should I cut out?

Also, I have a question. On the CV, should I include unrelated jobs? There is one job I have that has nothing to do with this particular job posting. I also have done volunteer work at the hospital, but that is also unrelated experience. I'm assuming I should leave it off of my CV. Thoughts?

Thanks for your reply!

Quoting Anonymous:

quickbooksworm
by Ruby Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 9:19 PM

It's too long.  I barely read cover letters and when I do it's for spelling and grammar.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 31, 2013 at 9:32 PM

Thanks. That is really helpful!

Do you have any tips on editing a CV? What do you think are "must haves" on the CV. Right now I basically have my education listed (universities w/ degrees earned and I included my AA and high school diploma), my relevant experience (4 different positions with ~5 bullet points under the job saying what I did), and noted accomplishments (research presentations, 1st place winner of a speech contest, deans list). I've thought about getting rid of the deans list mention and the 1st place winner of a speech contest as those seem... kinda weak points to mention. I'm not sure though

I don't have my gpa listed. I've read mixed opinions about putting that on cvs.

Thanks so much for your help! I REALLY want this job I'm applying for so I need to look good on paper (especially since I don't have a masters. I only have 2 bachelors and a post-bacc)

Quoting Anonymous:

You just want it to be brief and highlight your skills to that position. They can see your education info on your CV. Just say after receiving whatever degree at U of __, I gained experience with

All your work should go on your CV, any awards (academic, scholarships, etc),, conferences you attended, academic presentations for posters or abstracts, attach a letter of recommendation if you have one

Quoting Anonymous:

What should I cut out?

Thanks for your reply!

Quoting Anonymous:

svolkov
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 9:35 PM
Cut the skills. Those should be on the next page. Cover should be a few paragraphs. Plus contact info .

Quoting Anonymous:

What should I cut out?

Thanks for your reply!

Quoting Anonymous:

svolkov
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 9:35 PM
Cut the skills. Those should be on the next page. Cover should be a few paragraphs. Plus contact info .
svolkov
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 9:37 PM
R u adding your professional contacts?

Quoting Anonymous:

Thanks. That is really helpful!

Do you have any tips on editing a CV? What do you think are "must haves" on the CV. Right now I basically have my education listed (universities w/ degrees earned and I included my AA and high school diploma), my relevant experience (4 different positions with ~5 bullet points under the job saying what I did), and noted accomplishments (research presentations, 1st place winner of a speech contest, deans list). I've thought about getting rid of the deans list mention and the 1st place winner of a speech contest as those seem... kinda weak points to mention. I'm not sure though

I don't have my gpa listed. I've read mixed opinions about putting that on cvs.

Thanks so much for your help! I REALLY want this job I'm applying for so I need to look good on paper (especially since I don't have a masters. I only have 2 bachelors and a post-bacc)

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

What should I cut out?

Thanks for your reply!

Quoting Anonymous:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)