• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Neighborhood Kids.....

Posted by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 7:54 PM
  • 30 Replies
If I'm not working, the kids belong outside. They go out at 10 and don't come back in until about 7. That's just how it goes.

We have quite a few neighborhood kids that come over. It's unbelievable how long they stay here for as little as they are (5-9 years old) but I'd rather them be here than somewhere else.

I worry when they are here about someone getting hurt, etc..... What do you do when kids come over?
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 7:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MrsDavidB25
by Stacey on Jul. 31, 2013 at 7:56 PM

I am not understanding your post. Your kids go outside for 9 hours with no breaks/food/drinks? And if they are out so much how do you hav ethe neighborhood  kids there? Confused.

mnmom300
by Gold Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 7:59 PM
Neighborhood kids are in the backyard constantly. It makes me nervous. So, I wanted to know what other parents did with visitors.

Quoting MrsDavidB25:

I am not understanding your post. Your kids go outside for 9 hours with no breaks/food/drinks? And if they are out so much how do you hav ethe neighborhood  kids there? Confused.

Jessy613
by Diamond Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 8:00 PM

no idea my kids arent old enough to go outside.

bump

Raeann11
by Emerald Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 8:01 PM

I love when the kids are here. Our house is know as the fun house. The  kids that play over her the most. There Dad is a neat freak and they hardly have any outside toys. We have a bunch. Then when our other neighbors grand kids come. They run between the two houses a lot. We liver right beside them and can see them playing over there.

Sister_Someone
by Rachel on Jul. 31, 2013 at 8:01 PM

As a general rule, I don't let neighborhood kids in my home. If my son wants to play with them, he is free to do so on the street, sidewalk, or basically any place where I'm not accountable if something happens to them.

KairisMama
by Emerald Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 8:04 PM

My kids don't really play outside in the neighborhood. If we're out we're out at a park or somewhere else. My DD will have a playdate tomorrow, and the girl will probably stay most of the day. They have a blast together.

mnmom300
by Gold Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 8:05 PM
I don't either but the boys only are allowed to play in the fenced backyard. The kids come into our backyard. They love playing together - I just don't know what my responsibility is when they're in the yard.

Quoting Sister_Someone:

As a general rule, I don't let neighborhood kids in my home. If my son wants to play with them, he is free to do so on the street, sidewalk, or basically any place where I'm not accountable if something happens to them.

Sister_Someone
by Rachel on Jul. 31, 2013 at 8:16 PM

If someone else's children get hurt on any part of land you own, be it your backyard or your actual house, their parents can (and in most cases, will) hold you accountable for whatever happens to their children. One second, and you could be looking into a nice fat lawsuit that you can't possibly win. Take it from me, I have just enough lawyer friends to know better than letting any kids other than my own on my property without their parents in tow.

Quoting mnmom300:

I don't either but the boys only are allowed to play in the fenced backyard. The kids come into our backyard. They love playing together - I just don't know what my responsibility is when they're in the yard.

Quoting Sister_Someone:

fullxbusymom
by Sapphire Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 8:19 PM

We don't just have visitors.  They are planned we don't have any actual neighbors.  But when they come over they go out and play jump on the trampoline, play in the yard etc.  I don't go out with them.  They are old enough to be out there by themselves.  They come and out as they please all day long.

mnmom300
by Gold Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 8:20 PM
What gets me is the parents are perfectly okay with their kids coming here. My gosh! My kids had to come in early one night because they left the yard. I can't believe these kids are allowed to do whatever the hell they want. It's wrong and puts me in a terrible position.

Quoting Sister_Someone:

If someone else's children get hurt on any part of land you own, be it your backyard or your actual house, their parents can (and in most cases, will) hold you accountable for whatever happens to their children. One second, and you could be looking into a nice fat lawsuit that you can't possibly win. Take it from me, I have just enough lawyer friends to know better than letting any kids other than my own on my property without their parents in tow.

Quoting mnmom300:

Quoting Sister_Someone:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)