Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Have you ever had an "underweight" baby?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 108 Replies

I have four children.  The youngest two are twins.  My first two sons were consistently between the 30th and 60th percentiles.  I never had to discuss overweight children or underweight children.  And then, the twins came along... 

They were born at 36 weeks.  My daughter weighed 5lb11oz, and my son weighed 5lb5oz.  Compared to my 7 and 8 pounders, they were tiny!  And they've never stopped being tiny.  At 7 months old, my son weighs 14 pounds.  My daughter weighs 12 pounds.  Everywhere I go, people comment on my "newborns" or marvel at how they are almost 8 months old.  My son is a little on the small side, but my daughter is so small that just isn't even on the percentile chart.  The pediatrician has really been supportive and said that she is just on the small side- it could change or she might just be a small person.  But today, we went in for a sick visit (we're right in between the 6 month and 9 month checkups), and I mentioned that the nurse had just weighed her at 12 pounds.  I said, "Are we still not worried about this?"  He said, "Well, that's something that I think we are going to need to discuss at the 9 month appointment." 

I'm panicked.  What is there to discuss?  What could be causing her to be so tiny?  What on earth are we supposed to do to "fix it"?  If you had an underweight baby, please tell me how this went for you...

Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 31, 2013 at 8:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 31, 2013 at 8:13 PM

Bump

Anonymous

Bump

Anonymous

Bump

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 31, 2013 at 8:15 PM

Bump

Anonandon
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 8:16 PM

my son was 5lbs 2oz at birth, he's 3.5 months now and just under 12 lbs.  I know my cousin's preemie (34 weeks) is still tiny, she's 7 now.  She's healthy, just petite. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 31, 2013 at 8:18 PM

See... your 3 month old is the same size as her! :(

Quoting Anonandon:

my son was 5lbs 2oz at birth, he's 3.5 months now and just under 12 lbs.  I know my cousin's preemie (34 weeks) is still tiny, she's 7 now.  She's healthy, just petite. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 31, 2013 at 8:19 PM
1 mom liked this

My daughter was 6lbs 3oz at birth and is only 19lbs and just a few months shy of 2 years old. She is about 3% on the charts but has a lot of medical issues and is being tested for a chromosomal issue. However in most kids who are failure to thrive (not that your daughter is but dont freak out if the docs use it, its sort of a crappy catch all diagnosis) they typically do a blood work up. They look for any type of malabsorption issue in their gut, they may test this by stool as well. They will look for anything that may not help her gain weight well. Its almost always just simple blood work. If they rule any of that out then they will most likely say she is just going to be a small child provided she has no other health concerns. Good luck mommy, its a very hard road to go down. Adding oils and such to foods as she gets older may help. Pediasure after age 1 is a good choice too.

pregnantmama105
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 8:20 PM
my son was 3lbs 9oz and born 2months early
alexsmommy2010
by Silver Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 8:21 PM
Do you breastfeed or bottle? They make a formula called neosure that could help it has extra calories in it. My son was born at 32 weeks 3lb 10oz and he was on neosure for about 4 months to catch his weight up. He's now 3 and huge 46lb but I've seen a lot of early babies that just stayed small. My son seems to be the exception to the rule.
Retrokitty
by Jasmyne on Jul. 31, 2013 at 8:21 PM
My SILs twins are 11 months and 16 pounds each. No one seemed to be worried
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)