Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

what do you tell your kids about homosexuality?

Posted by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 8:23 PM
  • 242 Replies
2 moms liked this
What it means, wheather you find it acceptable or not, etc... At what age do you approach the subject?

For me, as with other sex questions, I wait till they specifically ask. I tell them it's when a man loves a man instead of a woman, or a woman loves a woman. I tell them that the bible says its wrong, but it also says we should not judge other people, that we should love our neighbor. I also tell them I think gay marriage should be legal because God gives us all freedom to make our own choices.
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 8:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Ms_mom_81
by Gold Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 8:25 PM

My dad is gay, and I finally talked to my daughter about it. She is 10. I explained that it is when a man likes a man or a woman likes a woman. Even if we don't agree with it we still love the person. That was the best I could do.

terpmama
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 8:27 PM
19 moms liked this
The same thing I tell them about heteros... Those two people love each other.
wirehangers
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 8:28 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't recall my kids ever asking about it.I never discussed being straight either.My youngest DD is gay and she never felt like she had to announce it.It's just not an issue in my family.

Crazy-Steph
by Ruby Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 8:30 PM
I've never really told them anything. It's just not an issue. People love who they love.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jul. 31, 2013 at 8:31 PM
1 mom liked this

to look away; some people have issues.

jessica1078
by Silver Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 8:31 PM
1 mom liked this
my brother came out when my kids were very young. I explained that it's ok to love someone whether it's a boy or a girl. You can't change how your heart feels. They adore their uncles.
disneymom2two
by Platinum Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 8:31 PM

I don't remember when it first came up but when they asked questions, I answered them.  I told them that sometimes instead of a boy loving a girl or a girl loving a boy, they love people who are the same sex as them. They know I support gay marriage.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 31, 2013 at 8:32 PM
That its wrong.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jul. 31, 2013 at 8:33 PM
And what if on of your kids has "issues" when they are older

Quoting Anonymous:

to look away; some people have issues.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jul. 31, 2013 at 8:34 PM
1 mom liked this

the situation where ds asks hasn't presented it's self yet but when he does ask i will simply tell him that sometimes men love men and women love women, just as some women love men and vice versa. that people can love whoever they want and nothing is wrong with it. ds has a gay grandmother, a gay great grandfather and a gay great uncle. so he's been exposed to it and has never asked any questions. people love people and that's all he see's....i wish more people saw it that way

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN