• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Cat Question...

Posted by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 8:49 PM
  • 5 Replies

So the night before last my cat got outside. I think she followed my DH out when he went to his friends house at 11pm.. Luckily I search for her in the house before I go to bed to make sure she isn't locked in my DD's room or a closet (that was at 2am).. She was gone! So I opened the front door and called her name and Woosh! She ran inside.. So she was out there for about 2 or 4 hours.. Now she tries to get out Every time we open the door :/ What do I do?? She's been an inside cat for a year and we adopted her on her first bday... So I don't know anything about her 1st year except that she had already had kittens.. I don't know if she was an inside cat or not.. We live in an apt complex with a lot of other outside cats and we don't have a way for her to get back inside unless I open the door for her... Should I start letting her be an indoor/outdoor cat?? or just keep her in? I am afraid she will get hit by a car. We live right down the street from a community college and theres some pretty heave traffic on the far side of the complex from time to time... Or that she will be stolen / picked up by the humane society.. She is chipped, but if she is stolen I mght never see her again.. How do people with outside cats do it without worrying? I am more of a dog person I have never owned a cat before so this is all new to me. It's been easy having an inside cat for a year... but now all she wants is to be outside again >.< What should I do? I think if I owned a house and had a doggy door/cat door it would be easier and I would know she could get in if she wanted..

What would You do??

Lilypie Trying to Conceive 15 to 80 day cycle tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 8:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
Anonandon
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 8:50 PM

Most of my cats have been indoor/outdoor, we've never had a cat door.  However, I've never lived in an apt that allowed indoor/outdoor cats, you had to keep them in everywhere I've lived.

Sammi20
by Gold Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 8:53 PM

So what do you do? Let then in when you get home? Let them be out all day if they want? Do they come when you call them? Have any ever gotten hit by a car :/ or just dissapeared?

Quoting Anonandon:

Most of my cats have been indoor/outdoor, we've never had a cat door.  However, I've never lived in an apt that allowed indoor/outdoor cats, you had to keep them in everywhere I've lived.

thejodigirl
by Platinum Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 8:53 PM
1 mom liked this

It's safer to have her indoors but I know how hard it can be when they get a taste of freedom always want to be darting out. Unfortunately for us it was only after our cat got her butt kicked by a tougher cat that she quite roaming and now just chills on the front porch. 

Anonandon
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 8:54 PM
1 mom liked this

We don't have cats anymore - but yeah, if they were out when we left, they stayed out until we got home.  We never had any get hit or disappear.

Quoting Sammi20:

So what do you do? Let then in when you get home? Let them be out all day if they want? Do they come when you call them? Have any ever gotten hit by a car :/ or just dissapeared?

Quoting Anonandon:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jul. 31, 2013 at 8:57 PM
1 mom liked this
Shake a can of coins whenever she goes near the door so it scares her.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)