Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

she swears she's a boy!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 8 Replies
My 9 y/o dd thinks she's a boy. She only wants to wear boys clothes. Wears her hair like a boy. Gets mad if someone says she's a girl. I'm really lost on how to react to this. Anyone?
Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 31, 2013 at 9:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
areles
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 9:16 PM
sorry, got nothing, other than the obvious, let her be who she is. she might grow out of it. she might not.

is she smart? kind? obedient? respectful? a good person? healthy?

if yes, you have nothing to worry about.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 31, 2013 at 9:18 PM

attention seeking, i think.  

MomToDarienne
by Silver Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 9:18 PM

...She may be transgender..

But then again she's still young..so I wouldn't label her yet..unleast until she hits puberty, then again you hear about kids like this a lot now.

The best thing to do is accept it, it's a lot easier for everyone if you do, I'm sure it's hard though..

nelliesmommy
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 9:19 PM

Maybe is is a tomboy or likes girls. I do't know. Leave her alone.

QueenAtargatis
by Gold Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 9:21 PM
Leave her be. Embrace who she is. Perhaps it is a phase, perhaps its something permanent. She's figuring out how to express herself. =]
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
yourdoingwhat
by Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 9:22 PM

Sometimes it's a phase. Do you have any boys? Are there more boys in neighborhood than girls? Maybe she's trying to fit in with them, emulates them, thinks if she's a boy they will let her join in with them? if this keeps up for X amount of time talk to her doctor. Ask how long a phase like this might last. They probably won't have an exact answer but maybe a pallpark answer. (if it's a phase). I'd let it go for a bit and then maybe try to have a talk with her about why she wants to be a boy/acts like a boy. This is going to be a delicate situation tread lightly. She may feel like she really is a boy.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 31, 2013 at 9:49 PM
I have no boys and four girls. She's the oldest. One nephew who's way younger than her and 5 nieces all younger. There's only one family with kids on our block and I hardly ever see them out. I'm planning on vringing it up to her counselor. Its been going on for a few months now but it wasn't till tonight when she was actually called a little boy by someone and she got excited that I realised how serious she is.

Quoting yourdoingwhat:

Sometimes it's a phase. Do you have any boys? Are there more boys in neighborhood than girls? Maybe she's trying to fit in with them, emulates them, thinks if she's a boy they will let her join in with them? if this keeps up for X amount of time talk to her doctor. Ask how long a phase like this might last. They probably won't have an exact answer but maybe a pallpark answer. (if it's a phase). I'd let it go for a bit and then maybe try to have a talk with her about why she wants to be a boy/acts like a boy. This is going to be a delicate situation tread lightly. She may feel like she really is a boy.

RoseWay
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 10:05 PM
She is probably transgender, look into it and do some research. Being transgender can start at an early age.

Or its a phase and in that case I would wait it out.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)