Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Filling a kids cavity ?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 21 Replies
So I feel like a failure as a mom today. My 5 year old has a cavity. his teeth were perfect except a small one in the back we missed when flossing. I feel awful. The dentist says lets fill it asap. I agreed. My dh says no way, we didn't even know it was there, why cause him pain if he is fine? I see his point and dont want to push aside his opinion completely but after researching it I am certain we will do the filling. ( my husband has bad teeth and he had fillings done so he says why mess with a tooth thats going to fall out in a few years) I know why I should do it, but I understand as a parent why he does feel that way skip pain for your child if its possible. Anywho just looking for some stories from moms who have been through this? How did the filling go? What should we expect? Will he be in pain afterwards? The dentist was so packed today I didnt get to ask too many of these questions.
Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 31, 2013 at 9:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
teddysmama09
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 9:38 PM
Teeth fall out, gums you have for life. Letting a tooth rot will lead to gum decay which will effect the new tooth that grows there. My son has extremely weak enamil and had to have caps put on four teeth. I would rather him have the momentary discomfort of dental work than have gum disease.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 31, 2013 at 9:42 PM

Quoting teddysmama09:

Teeth fall out, gums you have for life. Letting a tooth rot will lead to gum decay which will effect the new tooth that grows there. My son has extremely weak enamil and had to have caps put on four teeth. I would rather him have the momentary discomfort of dental work than have gum disease.

I agree which is why we will be doing the filling. But I want to be able to reassure my dh that I have all my ducks and research in a row. I dont plan on letting him talk me into not doing it. but I just wanted to know what to expect with my ds. More so after the filling. If its gonna hurt too bad I guess is what I mean. My dh insist it is very painful.
teddysmama09
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 9:50 PM
My son was put under anesthesia at the hospital. He was 2 1/2. That could be an option for your son.

I had fillings, I don't remember them hurting.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting teddysmama09:

I agree which is why we will be doing the filling. But I want to be able to reassure my dh that I have all my ducks and research in a row. I dont plan on letting him talk me into not doing it. but I just wanted to know what to expect with my ds. More so after the filling. If its gonna hurt too bad I guess is what I mean. My dh insist it is very painful.
armywife009
by Platinum Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 9:51 PM

Bump. I'd like to know the same thing, dd2, 2 years old, has her first dentist appointment in September. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 31, 2013 at 9:53 PM

My DS didn't have any problems getting a filling.  He was around that age.  He didn't complain of any pain afterwards.  Yes, the tooth will fall out, but if let go, it wil cause more than just damage to that tooth.

momtolittleg
by Ruby Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 9:53 PM

Bump for info. My dd has a "spot" between 2 back teeth that they are watching and I'm afraid it will eventually need to be filled. I'm a dentist weenie, and she's dramatic, so this could be bad...

Babymama7710
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 9:54 PM

My 4yr old has really weak teeth.he had 2 cavities in his front teeth that we had filled on children they don't fill them like they do adults.he was 2 2/1 when we had his done they just took a cap looking thing and put it over his tooth and hit it with a ultraviolet light (don't remember the name) but cavities in baby teeth can hurt the adult teeth,he has 2 more cavities we have to full.they are once again on the two teeth next to his front teeth.its not as bad as it is for adults.they just gave him a little laughing gas and it was fine he didnt cry or anything

LizzieAnnesMom
by ☆Mrs.Winchester☆ on Jul. 31, 2013 at 9:54 PM

Tell your husband he is an idiot. Fix this stuff ASAP or your child will be in even worse pain later. 

firespurity
by Emerald Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 9:54 PM
My daughter had one filling, weak enamel runs in the family, post procedure she didn't appear to have any pain.
vetNmommy
by Platinum Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 9:55 PM

My two sons had cavities that were filled two weeks ago. They are 7 and 5. The dentist used gas on them, they never cried or anything. It was just like a cleaning to them. No shots or anything. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)