Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Calling all BEAUTICIANS!!!! Get in here!!!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 11 Replies

Okay, so I went to the salon today to make an appointment for a Keratin treatment.  In my excitement, I forgot to ask if this treatment is recommended for pregnant women.  I'm fairly early in my pregnancy, I don't even know how far along I am yet.  My hair is thinning, damaged at the ends.  I already use a paraben/sulfate free - keratin and ph-balanced shampoo and conditioner.  I NEVER blow dry my hair nor do I even dye it these days.  I used to dye it frequently in highschool and for about a year or so after highschool.  So can you help me out??  If you can't, will you give me a bump?

Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 31, 2013 at 9:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 31, 2013 at 9:57 PM

BUMP

KennyPooPoo22
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 10:00 PM
Your fine. Its actually fine to color and perm your hair while pregnant as long as the area is well ventilated. Think of all the pregnant hairdressers, we don't stop working because we get knocked up because if the salon is complying with OSHA it is perfectly safe.
lokizmo
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 10:00 PM
It depends on the salon. Some will and some won't. The same goes for the Manufacturers that make the treatment. I would call your salon and tell them how far along you are and ask whether or not they recommend it.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 31, 2013 at 10:04 PM

The salon is as big as the nail shop I presently work in.  I know I am really early in my pregnancy, just wasn't sure.  I sent them a message on FB earlier, but if they don't answer I'll just go next door tomorrow and ask them.  I'm just sick of my hair.  :(

Quoting KennyPooPoo22:

Your fine. Its actually fine to color and perm your hair while pregnant as long as the area is well ventilated. Think of all the pregnant hairdressers, we don't stop working because we get knocked up because if the salon is complying with OSHA it is perfectly safe.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 31, 2013 at 10:05 PM

I'm really early, so I don't know and won't know how far along I am until August 13th.  I sent them a message on FB and if they don't respond, I'll go next door tomorrow and ask them. 

Quoting lokizmo:

It depends on the salon. Some will and some won't. The same goes for the Manufacturers that make the treatment. I would call your salon and tell them how far along you are and ask whether or not they recommend it.

KatieHops
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 10:10 PM
Youll be fine. The only problem would be fumes, and early on your baby is extra protected.
KennyPooPoo22
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 10:11 PM
If you are worried, just ask for a deep conditioning treatment. Or save yourself some $$$ for that bub and do it yourself! All you need is a thick conditioner or cholesterol (try Sally's), hair cap, and a heat source (blow dryer or sun will work) Shampoo your hair as normal, put way too much conditioner in do not rinse!, put on cap, sit in heat for 30 minutes or more if you want. Rinse a few times and BAM! Soft, healthy hair on the cheap side.

Quoting Anonymous:

The salon is as big as the nail shop I presently work in.  I know I am really early in my pregnancy, just wasn't sure.  I sent them a message on FB earlier, but if they don't answer I'll just go next door tomorrow and ask them.  I'm just sick of my hair.  :(

Quoting KennyPooPoo22:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 31, 2013 at 10:12 PM

I wouldn't be as worried as I presently am if it weren't for the fact that I had two miscarriages and am presently on hormone pills to help me stay pregnant.  LOL. 

Quoting KatieHops:

Youll be fine. The only problem would be fumes, and early on your baby is extra protected.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 31, 2013 at 10:44 PM

I received a reply from the salon and they said it is very safe.  I priced it earlier today and for cut, shampoo, style, and treatment it's only $100.  So not too shabby of a price.  :D  Thanks for all of your help.  I will definitely be keeping those low cost solutions in mind for the future. 

Quoting KennyPooPoo22:

If you are worried, just ask for a deep conditioning treatment. Or save yourself some $$$ for that bub and do it yourself! All you need is a thick conditioner or cholesterol (try Sally's), hair cap, and a heat source (blow dryer or sun will work) Shampoo your hair as normal, put way too much conditioner in do not rinse!, put on cap, sit in heat for 30 minutes or more if you want. Rinse a few times and BAM! Soft, healthy hair on the cheap side.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting KennyPooPoo22:

kimmaylove013
by Bronze Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 10:46 PM

Yep, you're good :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)