Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Paranoid Parents

Posted by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 10:20 PM
  • 65 Replies
1 mom liked this

http://www.freerangekids.com/crime-statistics/

Crime Statistics

From Crimes Against Children Research Center
(based on U.S. Dept. of Justice numbers):

Crime has been going down since the 1990s:

All U.S. homicides: Down 40% 1992 -2005.
Juvenile homicide: Down 36% 1993 – 2005 (kids under age 14)
Juvenile homicide: Down 60% 1993 – 2005 (age 14 – 17)
Forcible rape: Down 28% 1992 – 2006
Sex Abuse Substantiations of Children, 1990 – 2005: Down 51%
Physical Abuse Substantiations of Children, 1990 – 2005: Down 46%
Juvenile Sex victimization trends, 1993 – 2003: Down 79%

FBI Chart of Crime Rate, 1991-2010 (consistently going down):
http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/ucr/crime-in-the-u.s/2010/crime-in-the-u.s.-2010/tables/10tbl01.xls

2013 Pew Study: Gun Crime is Down 49% Since Peak in ’90s, and is Now on Par with Crime Rate of Early 1960s (But The Public Is Unaware of this Drop):

America’s Historic Drop in Crime, by the Numbers (including the fact that most crime stats are at levels not since since the advent of color TV):

http://theweek.com/article/index/229129/americas-historic-drop-in-violent-crime-by-the-numbers

And all violent crime down another 4% in 2011: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702303768104577460332267762086.html

A good graphic of the 2011 decline in crime: http://www.fbi.gov/news/stories/2012/june/crimes_061112/crimes_061112

The Economist on the incredibly low crime rate (especially in New York City): http://www.economist.com/news/united-states/21567957-two-americas-biggest-cities-fewer-people-are-being-killed-there-will-be-less-blood?fsrc=scn%2Ffb%2Fwl%2Fpe%2Ftherewillbelessblood

A great comparison chart about Crimes on TV News vs. Crimes in Real Life. NOTE: 99.5% of Americans will never experience ANY violent crime.

Abductions in perspective:

Number of children age 2 – 14 killed in car accidents, as passengers: 1300
Number of children killed each year by family members and acquaintances: About 1000
Number of children abducted in “stereotypical kidnappings” (kidnapped by a stranger for ransom or for sexual purposes and/or transported away) in 1999, the most recent year for which we have statistics: 115.
Number of those children killed by their abductor: About 50.

Murders of children by abductors constitute less than one half of 1% of all murders in America.

Stranger Danger?

Of all children under age 5 murdered from 1976-2005 –

31% were killed by fathers
29% were killed by mothers
23% were killed by male acquaintances
7% were killed by other relatives
3% were killed by strangers

Moral: Your safest bet is to leave your child with a stranger.
SOURCE: http://bjs.ojp.usdoj.gov/content/homicide/children.cfm

There is approximately one child abduction murder for every 10,000 reports of a missing child.(Source: Polly Klaas Foundation: http://www.pollyklaas.org/media/pdf/Abduction-Homicide-Study.pdf)

Put it another way: The Department of Justice reports that of the 800,000 children reported “missing” in the United States each year, 115 are the result of “stereotypical kidnapping” — a stranger snatching the child. About 90 percent of abductees return home within 24 hours and the vast majority are teenage runaways.

For more statistics and an analysis of the number of children reported missing versus the number of children actually abducted by strangers,please see the Second National Incidence Studies of Missing, Abducted, Runaway and Thrownaway Children conducted by the Department of Juvenile Justice & Deliquency Prevention: http://www.ncjrs.gov/html/ojjdp/nismart/03/ns5.html

- See more at: http://www.freerangekids.com/crime-statistics/#sthash.vfGkQ8KV.dpuf

Agree with the fact that media is causing people to perceive crime to be up and society to be more dangerous than before?

Are you a paranoid parent?

by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 10:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
OneAllergicMama
by Platinum Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 10:23 PM

I am so not a paranoid parent when it comes to crime being committed upon my kids.  Having access to daily media from around the country has made it sound like it has gone out of control when in reality, the numbers have either dropped or remained the same.

I am a paranoid parent when it comes to allergies though.  So it tends to cancel out my free range inclinations when I have to be a helicopter parent in many other ways.

ColtsFan1912
by FriendoftheFoot on Jul. 31, 2013 at 10:25 PM

I'm paranoid about choking. :\ 

I'm not overparanoid about things but I'm careful.

MrsDavidB25
by Stacey on Jul. 31, 2013 at 10:26 PM

Nope, not a paranoid parent.

Mama2ETA
by Platinum Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 10:29 PM

once your child gets to around 6-7 though, they should be old enough to know what they can and can not eat. Even if it's later at around 10, they will get more free range. Paranoia about kids having freedom is something parents will never let go of well into adulthood (I know, my parents are paranoid lol). My parents still ask where I am if they call and they can hear the car. Where I'm going, where I've been. blah blah blah. ha.

Quoting OneAllergicMama:

I am so not a paranoid parent when it comes to crime being committed upon my kids.  Having access to daily media from around the country has made it sound like it has gone out of control when in reality, the numbers have either dropped or remained the same.

I am a paranoid parent when it comes to allergies though.  So it tends to cancel out my free range inclinations when I have to be a helicopter parent in many other ways.

OneAllergicMama
by Platinum Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 10:33 PM

DS1 is 8 and allergic to wheat, rye, barley and egg.  It's harder when labels are not always clear (though I definitely stock him with food he can eat).  Problem is that he is not ready to inject himself and most parents are not keen on being in charge. 

DS2 is allergic to peanuts - his allergies are easier to manage but again, finding other parents willing to inject is not easy.

Once we can get into the whole you can inject yourself, it will be much easier.  Also teaching them to be more assertive because some people are downright pushy about food or saying things like "It's organic so it's fine" BS.  The organic people also have a tendency to push false cures. 

Quoting Mama2ETA:

once your child gets to around 6-7 though, they should be old enough to know what they can and can not eat. Even if it's later at around 10, they will get more free range. Paranoia about kids having freedom is something parents will never let go of well into adulthood (I know, my parents are paranoid lol). My parents still ask where I am if they call and they can hear the car. Where I'm going, where I've been. blah blah blah. ha.

Quoting OneAllergicMama:

Mama2ETA
by Platinum Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 10:50 PM

What do you mean "not ready to inject himself"? how many times have they had to be injected for anaphylactic shock? Typically, by age 5, they are able to administer an epi-pen themselves.

I know you cannot cure all food allergies by organic foods, and I would never advise it. Period. I would stay far away from anyone else's medical advice. I just find it crazy insulting that you call people "organic people", yeah, we're healthy.

My 4, 6 and 7 year old know what they can and cannot have (what I do not allow them to eat) and then my 7 year old is lactose intollerant. They all can tell people that they will not eat something if someone tries to tell them they should eat something. They wouldn't. They have my permission to tell someone NO if it comes to that.

I hope you can teach them to be strong and assertive for their health.

Quoting OneAllergicMama:

DS1 is 8 and allergic to wheat, rye, barley and egg.  It's harder when labels are not always clear (though I definitely stock him with food he can eat).  Problem is that he is not ready to inject himself and most parents are not keen on being in charge. 

DS2 is allergic to peanuts - his allergies are easier to manage but again, finding other parents willing to inject is not easy.

Once we can get into the whole you can inject yourself, it will be much easier.  Also teaching them to be more assertive because some people are downright pushy about food or saying things like "It's organic so it's fine" BS.  The organic people also have a tendency to push false cures. 

Quoting Mama2ETA:

Quoting OneAllergicMama:

Sassy762
by CAFE SASSY HBIC on Jul. 31, 2013 at 10:52 PM

Yes I am. I am a Very Paranoid Over-Protectuve Helicopter Mom/Grandmother. I have been like this for 34 years and will continue for at least another 20 years

almburr
by Ruby Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 10:52 PM
I'm a free range mama!!
Mama2ETA
by Platinum Member on Aug. 1, 2013 at 12:51 AM
Are your children over protective?

Quoting Sassy762:

Yes I am. I am a Very Paranoid Over-Protectuve Helicopter Mom/Grandmother. I have been like this for 34 years and will continue for at least another 20 years

NonaScheib38
by Gold Member on Aug. 1, 2013 at 12:52 AM
1 mom liked this

I never thought that the world was more dangerous than before, but it doesn't mean I am going to be careless with my kids. It's not that hard to keep an eye on them.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)