Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I'm scared that my baby (edited after observation)

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 83 Replies

has Cerebral Palsy.  I just happened upon an explanation of CP signs in infants, and I couldn't help but think about my daughter.  We joke all the time about how she isn't flexible, which I thought nothing of until now.  She always keeps her legs super straight, and she moves with jerky movements.  She sometimes does this twitching thing with her face- usually after something (a blanket or toy) touches her face.  She is very small, and she is a little slow to reach milestones.

Does anyone know anything about this?  Is there any particular thing I should look for?  Any tell-tale signs, so to speak?

I am shaking in fear.  I've been feeling like I was punched in the gut for the last hour.

Edit: The morning after

So as I went to bed last night, I stopped to peek in the nursery.  I found my daughter mid-roll... from one very relaxed position to another.  I don't know if children with CP lose that rigidity while they sleep, but she did not appear stiff.  It allowed me to relax enough to go to sleep.

This morning, I observed her for a couple of hours with the signs I read in mind.  Her legs are often very straight and stiff, and she keeps them raised slightly from the floor.  Sometimes she bends her knees reaches for her feet.  She crosses her legs at the ankle, but I actually found that she does this way less often than I thought she did.  She's done it one time today while I was holding her.  The rest of the time, her legs just hung normally.  She reaches for objects (I used a rattle) with both hands, and she is able to move the rattle from one hand to the other.  She is not yet sitting up, but I sat behind her and positioned her in a sitting position.  I didn't really have any difficulty positioning her, and after a couple of minutes, I was able to let go for about 2-3 seconds before she toppled over.  I would love to hear thoughts on this from anyone with experience with or knowledge of CP.

I'm feeling a little better today.  I think I'm going to wait to call the doctor until I have an opportunity to discuss my concerns with my husband.

Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 31, 2013 at 11:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jul. 31, 2013 at 11:53 PM
1 mom liked this

Bump

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jul. 31, 2013 at 11:54 PM

Bump

Sassy762
by CAFE SASSY HBIC on Jul. 31, 2013 at 11:55 PM

How old is she?/

Has your Pediatrician said anything to you about this or have you asked the doctor???

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jul. 31, 2013 at 11:55 PM
Bump
yo_ho
by Silver Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 11:56 PM
Google early intervention for infants/toddlers. They can assess her and get her started on therapies if needed. You could also go through your ped.

Just because she may have signs doesn't mean she has it, ya know? How old is she?
Hartbrayka
by Silver Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 11:56 PM

How old is she?  Doesn't she see a doctor on a regular basis?  Has your dr mentioned any concerns?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 31, 2013 at 11:56 PM
1 mom liked this

Take her to the doctor and express your concerns. It could be a number of things...things that the internet is not going to diagnose for you.  No sense in getting scared and worked up before you talk to a doctor and get conclusive answers.   It may be nothing at all.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jul. 31, 2013 at 11:56 PM
She is 8 months old. Her doctor has not mentioned it. I wasn't even suspecting it. I just came across this "things to watch for" article about CP, and it immediately made me think of her.
Quoting Sassy762:

How old is she?/

Has your Pediatrician said anything to you about this or have you asked the doctor???

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jul. 31, 2013 at 11:57 PM

Get her in to your pediatrician and get a referral for a physical therapy consult.  they can evaluate her muscles/tone.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jul. 31, 2013 at 11:57 PM
I literally know NOTHING about CP. She is 8 months old.
Quoting yo_ho:

Google early intervention for infants/toddlers. They can assess her and get her started on therapies if needed. You could also go through your ped.

Just because she may have signs doesn't mean she has it, ya know? How old is she?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)