Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Hope this doesn't get too heated.

Posted by   + Show Post

Hope I don't start too big of a bashfest here, but I think this is wonderful.

ST. PAUL PIONEER PRESS OUT MINNEAPOLIS-AREA TV OUT  MAGS OUT

RENEE JONES SCHNEIDER/AP

Margaret Miles (l.) and Cathy ten Broeke are the first same-sex couple to be married in Minnesota. Their son, Louie (c.) joins the celebration.

MINNEAPOLIS (AP) — Dozens of gay couples are getting married at Minneapolis City Hall as Minnesota becomes the latest state to legalize same-sex marriage.

The law allowed weddings to begin at 12:01 a.m. Thursday, and 42 couples were expected to be married by Minneapolis Mayor R.T. Rybak and several Hennepin County judges in the hours before dawn.

RELATED: PENNSYLVANIA SUES TO STOP GAY MARRIAGE IN COUNTY

Grooms Paul Nolle (l.) and Reid Bordson (with daughter Anna, c.) get married after Minnesota becomes the 13th state to legalize same-sex marriage.

RICHARD TSONG-TAATARII/AP

Grooms Paul Nolle (l.) and Reid Bordson (with daughter Anna, c.) get married after Minnesota becomes the 13th state to legalize same-sex marriage.

Midnight weddings were also planned at several other county courthouses around Minnesota, as well as at the Mall of America's Chapel of Love.

Rhode Island joins Minnesota to make the 12th and 13th states where gay marriage is legal. Weddings weren't expected in Rhode Island until later Thursday morning.

by on Aug. 1, 2013 at 8:13 AM
Replies (41-50):
amber710
by Silver Member on Aug. 1, 2013 at 8:40 AM
The only reason I tend to havea problem with it is that I consider a wedding to be a religious ceremony (especially if it's held in a church). It is a covenant between two people with God that they will strive to keep their union according to his design for marriage.
I know that not everyone is religious though, so if they are having a non-church ceremony and claiming their marriage to be only a legal contract then it doesn't bother me. If it is legal then they have a right to do it. I know it sounds stupid...but it seriously just occured to me a second ago that they probably aren't claiming the same concept of marriage as I am. They just want it to be legally recognized that they consider themselves partners. It should only bother us (christians)if they are claiming a religious ceremony/marriage. Because that isn't what it is. As long as people are being up front with me & calling things what they are, it is my job as a christian to love them & accept that they have a different view than me.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Ms.Sunshine6612
by Member on Aug. 1, 2013 at 8:41 AM

I thought they were sisters before I read the post! lol

Quoting missmamaof4:

is it me or does the first couple look like they could be twins or sisters?

amber710
by Silver Member on Aug. 1, 2013 at 8:47 AM
1 mom liked this
Its also worth noting that in the Christian community people who have been divorced have destroyed the sanctity of marriage, yet are usually still accepted. And those are often people who DID claim marriage as a covenant with God (whereas same sex couples more often view it as a legal partnership).

I'm not sure why this post made me realize this. But it really did change my entire view on the legalization of gay marriage. Really, even if I think it is wrong/sinful they should have a right to make that choice for themselves. I usually hate this argument (as it is used for issues such as abortion where I don't find it applicable), but in this case they are effecting no one but themselves. Even if I am correct, and it is a sin...they didn't hurt me by doing it. Thanks for a post that really provoked some thought for me- for whatever reason! lol.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
redhead-bedhead
by on Aug. 1, 2013 at 8:51 AM
1 mom liked this
Christians aren't the only religion or culture who have religious ceremonies concerning marriage.
None of the rest of us are worried about it.

Quoting amber710:

The only reason I tend to havea problem with it is that I consider a wedding to be a religious ceremony (especially if it's held in a church). It is a covenant between two people with God that they will strive to keep their union according to his design for marriage.

I know that not everyone is religious though, so if they are having a non-church ceremony and claiming their marriage to be only a legal contract then it doesn't bother me. If it is legal then they have a right to do it. I know it sounds stupid...but it seriously just occured to me a second ago that they probably aren't claiming the same concept of marriage as I am. They just want it to be legally recognized that they consider themselves partners. It should only bother us (christians)if they are claiming a religious ceremony/marriage. Because that isn't what it is. As long as people are being up front with me & calling things what they are, it is my job as a christian to love them & accept that they have a different view than me.
cutebaby06
by Platinum Member on Aug. 1, 2013 at 8:57 AM

BUMP!

cutebaby06
by Platinum Member on Aug. 1, 2013 at 8:58 AM

Well, going good so far,, let's keep it this way ok?

amber710
by Silver Member on Aug. 1, 2013 at 9:06 AM
And like I just said...that makes sense and I'm not sure why it didn't occur to me before that their concept of what marriage is might be utterly different than mine. That they aren't trying to insult or misuse a ceremony from my religion, they are just trying to enter into a legal contract. It honesty never occured to me that way, and I'm not even sure why it did now.

Although, I really doubt that you can speak for every non-christian whose religion also has marital ceremonies. Thats nice that you are trying to make me feel like we are the only ones on the planet with discomforts surrounding this change. We aren't.

Quoting redhead-bedhead:

Christians aren't the only religion or culture who have religious ceremonies concerning marriage.

Quoting amber710:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
redhead-bedhead
by on Aug. 1, 2013 at 9:09 AM

Most of the Pagan community is pushing for marriage equality.

Don't believe me? Then go ask several of the groups on CM and FB and you will have your answer.

Quoting amber710:

And like I just said...that makes sense and I'm not sure why it didn't occur to me before that their concept of what marriage is might be utterly different than mine. That they aren't trying to insult or misuse a ceremony from my religion, they are just trying to enter into a legal contract. It honesty never occured to me that way, and I'm not even sure why it did now.

Although, I really doubt that you can speak for every non-christian whose religion also has marital ceremonies. Thats nice that you are trying to make me feel like we are the only ones on the planet with discomforts surrounding this change. We aren't.

Quoting redhead-bedhead:

Quoting amber710:

couture-mommy
by Ruby Member on Aug. 1, 2013 at 9:10 AM
No idea.
She was hilarious tho.
I really wanted her to comment back

#thatsthatshitidolike

Quoting IamMex11:

#wishicouldsaywhatireallywanted

LOL girl who was that crazy anon on the other post? any idea?

Quoting couture-mommy:

Lmmfao

Quoting IamMex11:

Just hope GZ doesn't show up.

cutebaby06
by Platinum Member on Aug. 1, 2013 at 9:20 AM

BUMP!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured