Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Why are so many men terrible at grocery shopping?

Posted by on Aug. 1, 2013 at 9:21 AM
  • 362 Replies
1 mom liked this

5 Reasons Men Have Serious Grocery Shopping 'Issues'

by Sasha Brown-Worsham

men grocery shoppingLast week, I sent my husband a grocery list that was explicit in its detail. I needed hamburger buns. The next night I went into the bread box to make the hamburgers and there, waiting for me, was a full pack of whole grain ... hot dog buns. Really, honey?

My husband is a man with multiple higher degrees, a scientist who is at the top of his game professionally, and yet a simple trip to a grocery store leaves him utterly flummoxed. He comes home with zucchini instead of cucumbers and cumin instead of cinnamon and fat-free cheese instead of low fat.

The second he steps into Whole Foods, it's like he has a lobotomy or something. Sorry, honey. I love you and think you are incredibly capable in so many other arenas ... but the grocery store? Not so much. I asked around and found that, while some lucky ladies have husbands who are all about the food and know the difference between grass fed beef and the regular kind, there are many, many other women in my boat. Why? Here are some ideas:

1.) He's blind: Sometimes I think this might be true, but then I remember that he somehow manages to do his job and lead a group of 40+ engineers. So then I have to assume he is merely TEMPORARILY blinded by all the fluorescent lights and sale banners.

2.) He's stupid: But it can't be! He managed to finish all the work toward his PhD and get a great job on a high level. He is a well respected scientist who has been published in journals. And yet ... somehow ... lettuce escapes him? Tell me how this works?

3.) He is immune to branding: This is his excuse. Why buy the BRAND I SPECIFICALLY REQUESTED when you can buy the cheap knock-off one (with the hole punched in the top where sour cream is leaking out) for 50 CENTS LESS?!

4.) He just doesn't care: This is the most likely culprit. In my hubby's case, he is just not a foodie. To him, low fat and reduced fat ARE the same.

5.) He is subtly rebelling: The hubs isn't the biggest fan of grocery shopping. This is kind of like that Shel Silverstein poem from back in the day when a girl wanted to stop doing the dishes, so she would -- oops! -- drop one on the floor. Yeah. Like that.

Why do you think so many men (not yours, I am sure) are terrible at grocery shopping?

by on Aug. 1, 2013 at 9:21 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Aug. 1, 2013 at 9:23 AM
2 moms liked this
They are lazy and don't want to deal with the store madness?
theresaphilly
by Gold Member on Aug. 1, 2013 at 9:25 AM
5 moms liked this

My husband is the processed food KING! He loves anything that he can put into the microwave and devour in ten minutes. He always tell me "food should not be that complicated."

brysonsmommy_10
by Silver Member on Aug. 1, 2013 at 9:25 AM
5 moms liked this

He wants to spend as little time in the store as possible.  So, instead of comparing prices he just grabs the first one of whatever we need that he sees.

UxorQuodMatris.
by Ruby Member on Aug. 1, 2013 at 9:26 AM
3 moms liked this
I don't "let" my husband do the food shopping because he rushes it. He doesn't pay attention to pricing or ingredients. He just grabs the first thing he sees that remotely matches what's on the list.
Liz132
by on Aug. 1, 2013 at 9:27 AM
4 moms liked this

Mine can handle getting things on a list just fine but he'll also come home with a boat load of junk, which is fine because it's a rare occasion I actually send him to get things for me.  I usually just handle the grocery shopping it make more sense for me to do it since I do the cooking I know what I want, I'm pretty particular, I like to compare prices for value, nutrient contents ingredients and so on.

Acid
by on Aug. 1, 2013 at 9:27 AM
3 moms liked this

Because they are lazy and their mother's didn't teach them right.

thickmamaof2
by Gold Member on Aug. 1, 2013 at 9:27 AM
5 moms liked this
I personally love going to the grocery store. I make up reasons why I need to go. Lol. My hubby doesn't know how to grocery shop. And my son hates it already at 5 years old. So I just take my 3 year old daughter and we get girl time!
almondpigeon
by Ruby Member on Aug. 1, 2013 at 9:27 AM
16 moms liked this

we had friends visit from out of town this week.  we sent dh and the visiting husband to the store to buy dinner stuff for the grill.  they actually went to sams instead of the regular store and came back with 11 lbs of ribs and 6 lbs of chicken, 3 loaves of 3 ft long bread and a gigantic bag of salad, a 30 count pack of hot dogs and a 24 count case of corona.  it was the dumbest thing i have ever seen.  i will never again send a man to the store for anything.   seriously, who buys 15 pounds of meat (not counting the hot dogs) for one meal???? 

Mommy2b2many
by on Aug. 1, 2013 at 9:28 AM
1 mom liked this
Mine is good as long as I tell him beforehand not to get creative with the list. I tell him the brand (if it matters) and size of each item and how many. It took a few times but he's great at it now
KelliansMom
by Platinum Member on Aug. 1, 2013 at 9:28 AM
7 moms liked this
My husband grocery ships way better then I do lol.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN