Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Screaming toddler...I am at a loss

Posted by on Aug. 1, 2013 at 10:38 AM
  • 25 Replies
My 19 month old has started scream for hours at a time. At first I chalked it up to terrible twos, then to him wanting to nurse, but I stopped his once a night nursing more then 2 weeks ago, and he was completely weaned from other nursing times long before that, plus he never pulls at my shirt or anything like he used to. He screams like this at all different times of the day, sometimes after waking up, sometimes not. It usually last an hour to three; he'll scream for no reason and stop, then randomly start again, then all of a sudden he just stops. I've tried everything, changing him, feeding him, ignoring him, loving him, rocking him, changing his environment, EVERYTHING. Has anyone ever been through this? Any advice? He's going to the doctors on Tuesday and I'll mention it then, but... and FTR, during these fits, he gets more worked up when people look at him or pay attention to him, and he has never done it at grandma and grandpas house, only at home with me or my husband.
by on Aug. 1, 2013 at 10:38 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Aug. 1, 2013 at 10:44 AM
That's so strange, maybe I missed it but did you say when it started? Maybe he's teething? Or constipated? Those are two things I always think of when DD (18 months) starts being fussy. I hope the doctor has some insight!
morrigan914
by Platinum Member on Aug. 1, 2013 at 10:46 AM
I should probably add, during the worse or his fits I can't just leave him be, be bangs his bead on things, almost like to make himself cry. That is something he's always done, as did his older sister, to a lesser extent, and no he has signs of autism or anything else.
pregnantmama105
by on Aug. 1, 2013 at 10:47 AM
my son does this at home. but out and about hes a perfect angel. i need help with it too
morrigan914
by Platinum Member on Aug. 1, 2013 at 10:50 AM
It started about a month ago, and he doesn't act like he's constipated and almost never poops after and never durning. I don't know, I just really don't anymore.

Quoting Anonymous:

That's so strange, maybe I missed it but did you say when it started? Maybe he's teething? Or constipated? Those are two things I always think of when DD (18 months) starts being fussy. I hope the doctor has some insight!
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 1, 2013 at 10:51 AM

scream back and see what he does

morrigan914
by Platinum Member on Aug. 1, 2013 at 10:52 AM
Neither of my kids act up when out, and my son only cries and becomes needy at grandmas it I'm there.

Quoting pregnantmama105:

my son does this at home. but out and about hes a perfect angel. i need help with it too
morrigan914
by Platinum Member on Aug. 1, 2013 at 10:53 AM
He screams more, tried it.

Quoting Anonymous:

scream back and see what he does

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Aug. 1, 2013 at 10:53 AM

He doesn't do it ever at grandma's house? What's different there? Do you stay there the whole time with him?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Aug. 1, 2013 at 10:56 AM

I'm not being rude or trying to scare you, my son did some similar things to this between18-24 months.  Ask for an autism screen.  Pay attention to if there are any other 'odd' things he does, but point out the screaming and head banging for sure, also if he's lost any of his usual words and this screaming is now taking its' place.  And if they do not take you seriously and he keeps doing these things, keep asking or ask for a developmental pediatrician referral.  You may be at the beginning of a long journey....or he may just have an ear infection or something that hurts making him go batty.  Good luck.

morrigan914
by Platinum Member on Aug. 1, 2013 at 10:57 AM
He spends about 6 hours there a week, so just be percentages, it is less likely to happen there, but so far nope, never happened there. And I'm usually not there when he is, my hubby takes the kids over on Saturday so I can sleep, I work graveyard over the weekend.

Quoting Anonymous:

He doesn't do it ever at grandma's house? What's different there? Do you stay there the whole time with him?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)