Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

WWYD? Keep Getting The Runaround

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 10 Replies

My Mom and her DH were married but living apart.

Her DH was getting food stamps. He recently died so my Mom called DHS to report his death, so they could stop his food stamps.

DHS tells her they no longer have anything to do with FS. Which is true, and I had forgotten about that. DHS sold the FS to a credit card company, now soon everyone's FS will be on this credit-card looking type thing and a separate company will handle all FS related calls. The FS currently come on a card but the new cards will look more like a credit card with a Mastercard logo on them.

So they give her the number, and that company says *We have nothing to do with food stamps, we don't know why you called us* Now they did say they were the company that is going to re-issue the cards but they claim they have nothing to do with food stamps.

My Mom is just saying screw it. Because it's nearly impossible to get ahold of DHS and she doesn't want to keep getting the runaround. She called at 8:30 on the dot this morning which is when they opened and was on hold for an hour before anyone picked up.

If she calls back they are just going to tell her the same thing, trust me I have dealt with DHS and they are all sharing a brain that doesn't work.

WWYD? I couldn't find anything online to try and cancel his food stamps. She is just going to let it go, she told DHS about it, and she tried to tell FS about it but both DHS and the number they gave her claim they have nothing to do with food stamps.

Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 1, 2013 at 10:53 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Aug. 1, 2013 at 10:56 AM

bump.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Aug. 1, 2013 at 10:59 AM

bump.

Zazayam
by Ruby Member on Aug. 1, 2013 at 11:00 AM

There's no number on the back of his card?

jarkrt
by Gold Member on Aug. 1, 2013 at 11:03 AM
Wouldn't it be the DHS worker's responsibility, not the card issue. I'd demand to speak to a supervisor at DHS and demand to stay on hold until one got on the line.

Well ... on second thought, she's right. She could just let it go. The benefits will stop once the renewal comes and goes without being done. Just as long as nobody spends it.

Lol I'd still call and get on "governor mode", but that's the kind of person I am lol.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Aug. 1, 2013 at 11:06 AM

If she can't get anywhere with any one, when the card comes have her to write addressee deceased, return to sender on the envelope and send it back.  Maybe they will get the idea.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Aug. 1, 2013 at 11:06 AM

There is, and that was the first number she called, before she called DHS. They just said to call DHS.

Quoting Zazayam:

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Aug. 1, 2013 at 11:07 AM

Hmm, that is a good idea. When the new cards come I will have to tell her to do that.

Quoting Anonymous:

If she can't get anywhere with any one, when the card comes have her to write addressee deceased, return to sender on the envelope and send it back.  Maybe they will get the idea.

Zazayam
by Ruby Member on Aug. 1, 2013 at 11:11 AM

Oh, hm. I have no idea, lol. Good luck!

Quoting Anonymous:

There is, and that was the first number she called, before she called DHS. They just said to call DHS.

Quoting Zazayam:

bluebunnybabe
by Ruby Member on Aug. 1, 2013 at 11:12 AM
I think I would take a copy of his death certificate & drop it off at the local office where you apply.
AMRios
by on Aug. 1, 2013 at 11:48 AM

I would let it go... He would have to recertify sometime and when he doesn't they will just be cut off... I wouldn't use them personaly... Leave them on the card just incase they come and say why didn't you report his death where is the money... That way she won't have to repay them...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)