Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Period question

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 8 Replies

When do you count your first day of period?. The first day you see a little blood/spotting? or when its a little heavier?

Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 1, 2013 at 12:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Aug. 1, 2013 at 1:22 PM

anyone?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 1, 2013 at 1:27 PM

Spotting a day or two before a period is normal and does not count I believe, as the actual period.

NiamhWitch
by Platinum Member on Aug. 1, 2013 at 1:33 PM

The first day of actual flow.  Spotting is pre-period (and post-period).

The reason for this is because many women spot at other times in their cycles besides around their period (particularly on or near ovulation).  If those women were counting each little bit of blood that came out as a "period", they'd be having "periods" every other week or so.  Which is obviously not the case.

Your period is when the corpus luteum "dies" and you experience a sudden drop in Progesterone, which causes the lining of your uterus to shed.  This will be an actual flow.  Spotting may occur before this happens, but your period does not start until there is actual bright-red flow.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Aug. 1, 2013 at 3:01 PM

thats what i thought.

i usually spot for 2 days before i get a heavy flow.   ive just heard so many different things on when you should start counting.

alexsmomaubrys2
by Ruby Member on Aug. 1, 2013 at 3:02 PM

First day you start bleeding. 

PinkHart
by on Aug. 1, 2013 at 3:02 PM
Spotting is considered break through bleeding and a period is the actual flow of the lining shedding.

Quoting Anonymous:

thats what i thought.

i usually spot for 2 days before i get a heavy flow.   ive just heard so many different things on when you should start counting.

notabosley
by Silver Member on Aug. 1, 2013 at 3:14 PM
First day of spotting.
PeacefulLotus
by on Aug. 17, 2013 at 3:32 AM
Additional question. What exactly is spotting? My period isn't due til the 30th, but what had been dark discharge for two days today turned to a very light bright red flow. Is that spotting?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)