Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

do you get up with your high schooler? edit

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 26 Replies
Our oldest starts 9th grade this year..that means he has to wake up at 5:30 to get to the bus stop by 6:30...

I was telling dh that it looks like I will need to learn to wake up earlier myself so that I can make sure he gets up and I can see him off...

Dh told me I was stupid for getting up that early with him since he is now 14 and starting 9th grade...that ds should either gets up or he misses school...
I say it is a big change for all of us especially especially for ds now that he has to wake up two hours earlier then he has ever had to in the past...

Edit...I cant drive ds to school because the school is one town over about a 25 minute drive...school starts at 7:30 and I still have two other kids 10 and 6 who I have wake up and make sure their ready for school by 8:15 and I have to drive them...and dh has to leave for work at all different times..(between 4:30 am and 8 am depending on where he has to go that day
Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 1, 2013 at 10:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Aug. 1, 2013 at 10:47 PM

I don't have a highschooler but I would get up that early. It shows that you care. Fix him breakfast. Could you take him to school so that he doesn't have to get up so early? 

momto3nuts
by Silver Member on Aug. 1, 2013 at 10:47 PM

It's nice to see them off in the morning. 

MicheleJM
by Ruby Member on Aug. 1, 2013 at 10:48 PM

Idk yet but most likely I would get up with ds or at least make sure he gets up. 

In the past he did get up and got himself ready for school with very little help from me.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Aug. 1, 2013 at 10:48 PM
My ds will be a senior this year. He has an alarm, but I still get up with him. I always have. He will be driving to school this year so he won't need to get up till 7 am.
thetrollcat
by Meow on Aug. 1, 2013 at 10:49 PM
1 mom liked this

well I think he may need some help for the first few weeks plus you will want to see him off as he will likely be nervous as well. But for the most part, high school is about teaching them to become responsible and he should get up on his own and go to school.

pinkysmommy720
by Silver Member on Aug. 1, 2013 at 10:49 PM

My oldest will be starting highschool this year and I will be getting up with him and taking him to football practice by 7am. He won't have to get up until around 6am, but I would get up earlier if he had to.

La_Vie_en_R0se
by Gold Member on Aug. 1, 2013 at 10:52 PM

I wake my son up in the morning.  I hate getting up that early, and for me it was 6:00 not 5:30, but I do.  I don't think the day would feel right without seeing him off in the morning...

RiotousDigits
by Ruby Member on Aug. 1, 2013 at 10:52 PM

I'm going to do what my mom did.

Get up 5 minutes before my kid needs to leave and, if she's not ready and misses the bus, I'm going to drive her to school verrrrrry slowly (to ensure she's late) and then walk her in to the office in my pajamas.  I'll even invest in the most obnoxious bathrobe I can find just for this purpose. 

Just the threat worked for me.  I was never late.  My sister called my mom on her bluff and lost... at least 3 times

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Aug. 1, 2013 at 10:53 PM
Well my 6yr old gets herself up, gets dressed, and eats breakfast. By high school I do expect she'll get herself up still. However I know teenagers need more sleep, are very busy in school, and honestly they're kids. So I'm willing to get up with them but the responsibility is still theirs.

I say just make sure you're getting up to ensure your teen does. Not getting up to wake him up. Kwim?
ksueditz
by on Aug. 1, 2013 at 10:53 PM

when my ds14 had to get up to catch the bus, to another town, i got him up but didn't stay up w/ him. i just made sure he heard his alarm, and to kiss him goodbye. i do not get up w/ ds16, when he has morning practices, but he's better about getting himself up.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)