Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Book rental fees for public schools?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 69 Replies

A spin off from my other post.  I am learning not all places do this.  How many have never heard of this for public schools?  Not talking about private schools, this is about public schools.  

Do you pay anything for your kids to attend school other than buying their yearly supplies and breakfast/lunch money?

Do you have a class fee?  Lab fee?  Tuition?  

This is what our fees are:

Kindergarten; $110.00
First grade; $120.00
Second grade; $105.00
Third grade; $100.00
Fourth grade; $95.00
Fifth grade; $105.00

These fees are lower if you qualify for text book assistance, which are the same guidelines as the ones used for reduced and/or free breakfast and lunch.  High school book fees are determined by the classes you take.  Even if you qualify for the lowered fees, it is at least $45 no matter what grade you're in, K-12.  All ECs are $20 each and are not part of the book rental fees and are not lowered by text book assistance.  Lab fees and class fees may be covered by text book assistance.  (Usually lab fees are but some class fees aren't.)  Lab and class fees are only for middle/high school. 

ETA:  Would you mind sharing at least what state you live in when answering?  We live in Southern Indiana.  

Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 2, 2013 at 11:04 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 2, 2013 at 11:06 AM

i have heard of it but our schools don't do that.

erica19791
by Bronze Member on Aug. 2, 2013 at 11:07 AM

Our school does not do this. We only pay for the supply list.

Kitschy
by on Aug. 2, 2013 at 11:07 AM

The only fee we have for kindergarten is a 20$ registration fee

brettsmomma
by ~Tammie~ on Aug. 2, 2013 at 11:08 AM

my sons class fee this year was 20 bucks. No book rentals. If you choose for your kid to be in the robotics class you gotta pay an extra 50. :) 

Photo: -Randi.

Karopie_99
by Silver Member on Aug. 2, 2013 at 11:10 AM
1 mom liked this
I've never heard of being charged a fee of any kind. Unless youre in college or a tech school. You buy the books. My son is starting 7th grade and dd kindergarten and I've never had to pay for the books. Just back to school supplies and lunch money if I choose
ColtsFan1912
by FriendoftheFoot on Aug. 2, 2013 at 11:11 AM

When I was in school we had book rental to pay each year. I have no idea what it was since my parents took care of it. I'm in Indiana.

Osstie
by Gold Member on Aug. 2, 2013 at 11:13 AM
Never heard of it.
Master_Debater
by on Aug. 2, 2013 at 11:13 AM

There are various book rental fees, class fees, etc.  I always thought that was the norm until recently.

just_hc
by Gold Member on Aug. 2, 2013 at 11:14 AM

We pay book rental in Indiana.  It's roughly the same as you have listed until you get into high school.   I pay $250-$300 per kid for High School depending on their schedule.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 2, 2013 at 11:14 AM

Quoting ColtsFan1912:

When I was in school we had book rental to pay each year. I have no idea what it was since my parents took care of it. I'm in Indiana.

So am I.  Southern Indiana.  I just found an article on RTV6 website from 2009 that Indiana is one of 3 states that pays book rental.  Trying to find something more current.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)