Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Housewife fantasy

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 27 Replies

When you were younger, what image did you have of your future life as a wife and mother?   

Did you see yourself as a full time housewife a la June Cleaver or maybe Peg Bundy? 

I'm not asking about the life you actually have but rather the life you might have dreamed about or thought you wanted as a little girl.  Not looking to stir up any drama.  This is not about working moms vs. sahm's. Just a lite reflection on how we saw ourselves when we were little.

Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 2, 2013 at 11:08 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
imakehimscream
by He screams on Aug. 2, 2013 at 11:09 AM
I didnt think i would ever get married or have kids
hgibsonorc
by Bronze Member on Aug. 2, 2013 at 11:10 AM
I always dreamed that I would be working right out of college. It turned out that I got pregnant and had my baby right after I graduated with my BA. So....my masters had to wait and I've stayed home with my two children, now, and am finally getting back to working now that they will be both in school. It's basically the same dream, just in a different order than I had anticipated :).
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Bigmetalchicken
by Ruby Member on Aug. 2, 2013 at 11:11 AM

I saw myself more as a Murphy Brown. Or a Bette Midler.  I never had housewife fantasies. 

Now I am more June Cleaver, but in my head, I am Sooooo Peggy Bundy. lol

yrfavoritseason
by on Aug. 2, 2013 at 11:11 AM
I never wanted kids! I wanted to travel! But my mom was a typical housewife for a short period of time.. and then she was a single mom who never saw us.. so I knew when I got older I would rather be the housewife.
MissTuree
by Silver Member on Aug. 2, 2013 at 11:13 AM

I always dreamed that I'd be a huge deal in a fast paced, high power career and my husband would stay home and take care of the kids and me. 

I seriously dreamed of that since I was like 6. lol

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Aug. 2, 2013 at 11:13 AM

I thought I'd have a big job and not be married or have children. My life is very different than that.

ShellLea
by Silver Member on Aug. 2, 2013 at 11:14 AM
1 mom liked this

I did not picture myself as a wife and mother at all. I still can't believe I actually enjoy this shit. I'm more of a Peg Bundy, with more alcohol.

brettsmomma
by ~Tammie~ on Aug. 2, 2013 at 11:15 AM

For many years i never thought I would be able to have a child so I never dreamed of that sort of life. It just happened. Thank God! 

Photo: -Randi.

LitNut
by on Aug. 2, 2013 at 11:17 AM

I never imagined I would get married or have kids. I always wanted to go to college and somehow magically be able to always be taking classes and get all of these different degrees. I also thought that I would go to Europe by myself and go visit all the different countries and have the time of my life.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Aug. 2, 2013 at 11:17 AM

When I was a girl, I had dreams about being a sahm with 3 kids (boy, girl, boy exactly 2 years apart) with a dh that worked a typical 9-5. We would own a house, (it would be light blue with a white picket fence) I would always have the house clean, and tidy yet always have time for the kids, homeschool and bake.... And then poof*.... It was just a little girl fantasy. The only thing that actually worked out for me was that I am a sahm (now, even though I really DON'T like it,) and that my first child is a boy. Every other dream went right out the window.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)