Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Why aren't welfare benefits formatted like unemployment?

Posted by on Aug. 2, 2013 at 1:42 PM
  • 164 Replies
4 moms liked this
I have wondered for a long time why welfare benefits are handled so differently than unemployment. Unemployment (at least in michigan- idk if it's this way everywhere) requires that you create an account with the state job board (here that's MiWorks), create a resume and cover letter, and apply to a certain number of jobs each period to get your benefits. Any adult who wants to recieve benefits has to either be enrolled in school, planning on returning to work at a set date, or using this job application program. They also are offered classes on resumes and interviews. If you can't figure out the program, need help with your resume, or don't have a computer- they have offices in most cities where you can get help from a career counselor and apply for jobs there instead. You also are only eligible for benefits for a reasonable amount of time. Which makes sense to me because if you are applying to so many jobs a week, you should have job soon...
Why doesn't the welfare system use similar criteria?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Aug. 2, 2013 at 1:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
amber710
by Silver Member on Aug. 2, 2013 at 1:45 PM
I asked this of someone who gets PA and she said "they probably don't have the resources to moniter that many people applying for jobs." But it's mostly an online system counting how many jobs you tell it to send your premade resume or application to. And if it helped get a bunch of people off of PA, they would have more resources...not less.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
krissy920
by Gold Member on Aug. 2, 2013 at 1:45 PM
1 mom liked this

the systems  need to be redone but the problem is that there are  probably more people on welfare voting  then people who are not.. why would they vote to change their benefits or cut them.

Mittenmommie
by Silver Member on Aug. 2, 2013 at 1:45 PM
I know here in MI they do require those getting cash assistance to attend 40 hours a week of job training stuff.
Not sure why they don't do it for food stamps and such. My guess is a lot of the people on fs are working (supposedly) but just don't earn a lot or they lie about what they make.
I know someone who lies about what she makes and gets 600 a month in food stamps and 600 a month in child support and it pisses me off.
amber710
by Silver Member on Aug. 2, 2013 at 1:49 PM
I don't understand how she is doing that...here you have to show check stubs and W2s. Does she have a second job that she just doesn't show or something?

Quoting Mittenmommie:

I know here in MI they do require those getting cash assistance to attend 40 hours a week of job training stuff.

Not sure why they don't do it for food stamps and such. My guess is a lot of the people on fs are working (supposedly) but just don't earn a lot or they lie about what they make.

I know someone who lies about what she makes and gets 600 a month in food stamps and 600 a month in child support and it pisses me off.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mittenmommie
by Silver Member on Aug. 2, 2013 at 2:11 PM
She says she doesn't work and has her daycare parents pay her under the table and doesn't report it. She doesn't allow the parents to claim it on their taxes either.
I have seriously thought about turning her in. I had assistance when I had my son 6 years ago until I could find a job and they were up my ass about income and such.. Not her apparently.
We are in Michigan also.

Quoting amber710:

I don't understand how she is doing that...here you have to show check stubs and W2s. Does she have a second job that she just doesn't show or something?

Quoting Mittenmommie:

jadedcynic
by Nerdalicious on Aug. 2, 2013 at 2:16 PM
1 mom liked this

They do for Cash benefits, but not for simply Food Stamps and Medical. Tanf recipients are required to participate in job searching and there are lifetime limits as to how long they can receive them in their lifetime. Food stamps don't have the level of requirements because hopefully recipients have some form of income to pay their rent and utilities and just need the help with food.

garnet83
by on Aug. 2, 2013 at 2:21 PM
7 moms liked this

That would make sense. But keep in mind that, at this point, the number of welfare recipients is so high that getting that implemented would be darn near impossible. Those who have made it a lifestyle and who are just one in a long line of generations who have done so will not want this lifestyle taken away because it's all they know. As soon as they are old enough, their family member tell them to go apple for everything they can get. They nearly outnumber the working tax payers.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Aug. 2, 2013 at 2:22 PM

In Michigan if you get welfare cash payments you need to do 40 hours of job searching, and if you get food stamps you have to be working, or disabled or caring for a disabled child if they are over the age of 5. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 3, 2013 at 9:35 AM
6 moms liked this

everyone on ANY type of benefit should be required to pursue jobs, school or some way to get off the system... not just some people on cash assistance.  this should apply to ALL adults, not just ONE in a household, nobody should be able to sit at home and receive benefits.... "SAHM" on welfare, any form, including WIC and EIC, should NOT be possible.....  of course this excludes those truly disabled...

quickbooksworm
by Ruby Member on Aug. 3, 2013 at 9:38 AM
1 mom liked this
I wouldn't send my son to someone who wasn't a tax write off. I'd turn her in if I were one of them.

Quoting Mittenmommie:

She says she doesn't work and has her daycare parents pay her under the table and doesn't report it. She doesn't allow the parents to claim it on their taxes either.

I have seriously thought about turning her in. I had assistance when I had my son 6 years ago until I could find a job and they were up my ass about income and such.. Not her apparently.

We are in Michigan also.

Quoting amber710:

Quoting Mittenmommie:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN