Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Would you request another teacher for your child?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 116 Replies
1 mom liked this

Poll

Question: Would you request another teacher for your child?

Options:

Yes

No

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 142

View Results

We went to the orientation for my DD today, she is about to be in second grade. Before I go on, I would like to say, this is NOT  a black people bashing post, I have NO ISSUE with my child having an African American teacher. But I can't understand this woman. I could only understand about 60% of what she said and my DD didn't understand her when she asked her a question. You could tell she was trying not to but she kept slipping into Ebonics. This is a problem for me because 1. how is DD supposed to learn anything if she can't understand her and 2. how is this woman supposed to teach my DD proper grammar when she hasn't mastered it herself?

Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 2, 2013 at 10:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Aug. 2, 2013 at 10:04 PM

BUMP!

QuirkyMom26
by on Aug. 2, 2013 at 10:05 PM

Quite the pickle you've got yourself in.  Good luck.

momto3infl
by Gold Member on Aug. 2, 2013 at 10:07 PM

yes I would.  This is what I cant stand about the principal at the middle school she has so much ebonics that 1 I cant understand her 2 cant stand to listen to her talk.

Hannahluvsdogs
by Ruby Member on Aug. 2, 2013 at 10:07 PM

It's just like having a teacher with an accent, she'll get used to it after a few weeks.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Aug. 2, 2013 at 10:09 PM

Yes, I would. Most of my 6th grade math class failed because we couldn't understand the teacher.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Aug. 2, 2013 at 10:09 PM
6 moms liked this

I don't want her to get used to it, to learn that this is an acceptable way of speaking because, to me, it's not.

Quoting Hannahluvsdogs:

It's just like having a teacher with an accent, she'll get used to it after a few weeks.

Newmom8912
by Platinum Member on Aug. 2, 2013 at 10:09 PM
Hmm
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BeautyGuru
by on Aug. 2, 2013 at 10:09 PM
1 mom liked this

Yes I would, I wouldn't expect my child to learn from someone he couldn't understand.

slvr115
by Gold Member on Aug. 2, 2013 at 10:09 PM
I voted 'no', but I really mean 'not yet'. Give it a couple weeks. See if it gets better for your daughter. I can't believe no one has ever complained before if it's that bad. Maybe talk to some other parents and see how they feel.

I'd be afraid that, no matter what you say or how you put it, it will come across as you being racist to her and the administrators.
Hannahluvsdogs
by Ruby Member on Aug. 2, 2013 at 10:10 PM

I meant get used to it as in be able to understand it. It's unlikely she'd start talking that way but if she does, correct her.

Quoting Anonymous:

I don't want her to get used to it, to learn that this is an acceptable way of speaking because, to me, it's not.

Quoting Hannahluvsdogs:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured