Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

seriously...this happens in 9yo football?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 73 Replies
What did we get ourselves into? My 9yo started football yesterday with pop Warner. Until now he has always played baseball, which is a fairly tame sport.

Well at the end of his first practice the coach announced that we would not be engaging in any scrimmages with our neighbor town rivals( you know that one town that for whatever reason in every sport its imperative you beat). This was met with lost of upset kids of course.

But his reason blew me away. I guess last year the other town not only taped the scrimmages they were also kicked off the field while posing as parents aping their walk throughs.

Wtf is wrong with people these days.
Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 2, 2013 at 11:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Aug. 2, 2013 at 11:45 PM
Bump
csxt99
by Jennifer on Aug. 3, 2013 at 2:37 AM

Competition and win at all costs.  It starts young.  The young kids' sports are ruined by parents and coaches.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Aug. 3, 2013 at 3:06 AM
Yeah it happens a lot. Football is rough nothing compared to baseball. We tried baseball for the first time this past spring and I could not believe the difference. It was so calmed. Lol Good luck with the season.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Aug. 3, 2013 at 9:34 AM
You seriously think it happens a lot? Honestly I doubt that.

Quoting Anonymous:

Yeah it happens a lot. Football is rough nothing compared to baseball. We tried baseball for the first time this past spring and I could not believe the difference. It was so calmed. Lol Good luck with the season.
momto3infl
by Gold Member on Aug. 3, 2013 at 9:39 AM

Thats sports anywyas.  I refuse to put my kids in organized sports.  I would rather they do scouts like they do and enjoy it.  My dd has talked about track through school, but how the try-outs go and all that she doesnt care for that.

LAXmom21
by Ruby Member on Aug. 3, 2013 at 9:41 AM
I've seen parents thrown out of the stands at games, coaches thrown off fields, I've even seen a fight or two all before high school.

Quoting Anonymous:

You seriously think it happens a lot? Honestly I doubt that.

Quoting Anonymous:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Foolynroo2
If you are reading this - I think you're a Cunt
Yesterday at 9:12 PM
by Ruby Member on Aug. 3, 2013 at 9:45 AM

my son played 3 years of FLAG ages 4, 5 and 6.

You couldn't believe the disgusting things adults yelled and tried to do.

My husband was asst coach and coach for two of those years.

Our experience is a reason our son didn't start playing contact.

My DH grew up playing peewee right up until HS his father was a coach, and he said while it was tough, it wasn't like THAT.

weezer_cookie
by Platinum Member on Aug. 3, 2013 at 9:45 AM
My brother was a ref for hockey when he was in high school and the things some of the coaches and parents said to him were awful.
MrsDavidB25
by Stacey on Aug. 3, 2013 at 9:48 AM

My boys have been playing football for 10 years. Yes, shady things do go on. And quite frankly it is always the parents that are causing the problems. But for the most part things will be fine, and your son will have a good time. DS 12 started pop warner yesterday too. Good luck with your season!

tennisgal
by on Aug. 3, 2013 at 9:49 AM

Yes, teaching sportsmanlike conduct is low on the list it seems (with parents usually). I coach U6 and U8 soccer (so kids under 10) and have had to ask parents to leave on numerous occassions for yelling and/or insulting my kids. The parents sit right on the sidelines. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)