Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Letter from school

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 138 Replies

DD was put in a class with a child who is severely allergic to peanuts. We got  a letter sent in the mail along with her teacher assignment saying that because of this student is so severely allergic, he can have a reaction just by being around someone who have eaten peanuts or peanut butter recently. Therefore, they are asking that no one feed their kid peanuts or peanut butter for breakfast, in addition to not bringing it to school. TBH I feel this is a bit of a overstep to try to tell me what I can feed my kid at home. But since we don't eat peanut butter at breakfast, this is a non issue for me (with the exception of peanut butter cereals like Reese's or peanut butter captain crunch but those can be saved for the weekend). I talked to my ex however, he has DD every other weekend so he gets her ready for school every other Monday. He said "I will feed her what I want". I asked if he will at least not send it to school, he said that's fine because he always lets her buy lunch but he will give her what he feels like for breakfast (the Reese's cereal is something she will always eat so I am sure that is what he is talking about). Orientation is Monday so I guess I will have to mention this to the teacher. She always brushes her teeth before school but she might forget to wash her hands after breakfast (unless she goes to the bathroom) and I guess they would be worried about some of it being on her clothes.

I hate for my kid to be the problem kid when it comes to this and I don't want to be "that mom" but the school doesn't have the authority to make a rule about what kids can eat at home and my ex doesn't have to agree to the request.

Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 3, 2013 at 10:20 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Aug. 3, 2013 at 10:20 AM

BUMP!

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Aug. 3, 2013 at 10:20 AM

BUMP!

SouthernMamaof1
by Gold Member on Aug. 3, 2013 at 10:24 AM
14 moms liked this

I know that others have a real problem with this issue, but if my inconvenience or my child's inconvenience could possibly mean saving the life of another child, I would more than willing do it. I just wouldn't want a child to die because my child MUST have peanut butter on his toast in the morning.  It's just a matter of weighing the inconvenience and the benefit and seeing which is more important.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Aug. 3, 2013 at 10:24 AM
3 moms liked this
Considering how selfish he is, it's no wonder he's your ex.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Aug. 3, 2013 at 10:25 AM
I understand the big issue with these peanut butter bans and how everyone shouldn't have to accommodate one child but I look at it this way....if I did feed my kid pb and it cause the child to have a bad reaction, I would feel BEYOND terrible. Is it oncomvenient sometimes? Yes, but I wouldn't want to be the cause of another child getting sick or possibly dying. When ds was in prek he had a kid with really bad pb and raisin allergy. So bad to the point that they asked er not bring anything in (parents shared responsibilty of snack time) that was even made in a facility that processed any peanuts. They had a special snack on hand so that of some thing was brought in he couldn't eat, he would have something else. But for me personally, it wasn't THAT big of a deal to adjust things a little to keep a kid healthy.

Just my opinion on the topic....
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Aug. 3, 2013 at 10:26 AM

I agree, like I said, the peanut butter cereal can be saved for weekends only at my house. The problem is, my ex doesn't have to agree with me and I don't have the right to forbid it at his house.

Quoting SouthernMamaof1:

I know that others have a real problem with this issue, but if my inconvenience or my child's inconvenience could possibly mean saving the life of another child, I would more than willing do it. I just wouldn't want a child to die because my child MUST have peanut butter on his toast in the morning.  It's just a matter of weighing the inconvenice and the benefit and seeing which is more important.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Aug. 3, 2013 at 10:27 AM

He is an ass.

Quoting Anonymous:

Considering how selfish he is, it's no wonder he's your ex.

MrsDavidB25
by Stacey on Aug. 3, 2013 at 10:27 AM
7 moms liked this

I will certainly comply with not sending peanut products to school if there is an allergy but sorry, my kid will eat what he wants at home.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Aug. 3, 2013 at 10:27 AM
My kids never have PB so I'd easily abide. ;)
KairisMama
by Emerald Member on Aug. 3, 2013 at 10:29 AM
2 moms liked this
If have no issue staying away from PB in the morning if it kept a child safer.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)