Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

i had no choice! *update*

Posted by   + Show Post
So my dd and ds were outside playing in our yard when all of a sudden I see this big German shepherd running for my girl. I swear things happened so fast after that I'm still trying to understand what happened. The next thing I know this dog is on top of my baby so I guess I just reacted I grabbed my neighbors garden gnome that sits in our shared yard and I just starting hitting the dog with it. Finally I made contact with its head and it yelped jumped walked around and then laid down on the sidewalk. My neighbors came running off the porch her dh had ran back in to get his pistol , he is a paramedic he looked dd over her face is a little scratched up and her hand was bleeding he said he thought she was fine I'm still debating about taking her to the ER maybe they need to check for a concussion? The owner walks up and starts freaking out on me telling me I WILL be paying the vet bills and I WILL be hearing from her attorney. I'm just like whatever I'm so shocked I did not agree to pay I was just like whatever you say. My neighbors husband asked if her dog had a rabies shot she said NO!!! She said her dog didn't need one bc it is an inside dog Wtf?? She then goes on to tell me how I beat her poor defenseless dog that was just trying to play . Idk what to do they left to take their dog to the vet, I called my ex husband he is calling his attorney to make sure I am not responsible for any bills. We have leash laws so he does not think I am. Even if I am , I'm not paying . Idk what to do , call the cops? Go to the ER? I just don't know. I never thought something like this could happen so quick. I was right freaking there.

I took her to the ER , I never did get her in the tub so when I walked in she was covered in blood and so was I I think it scared the nurses. The doctor wanted to start her on rabies shots since the dog attacked her for no reason. I wanted to talk to her pedi but he was pretty insistent on it so I agreed. He gave her an antibiotic called agmentin (sp?). She was bitten in the hand they cleaned her up but did not sew her up bc the risk of infection. I have to follow up with my pedi Tuesday and he will explain the shot schedule. Everyone was super helpful and did all of the reporting for me.

As far as the neighbors go , my neighbor told me she saw the AS truck down there but either they still were not back or were not answering. I will probably stay in for the day I am just to upset to go down there right now and my dd seems to be pretty upset. I have not put her down her dad came to check on her and he held her and she was fine until I went to pee the minute she could not see me she started freaking out the doc told me she may be extra clingy for a few days. I have had time to think about this whole thing and I am so pissed that someone could be so irresponsible with a large dog my dd is not even 2 and she could be dead right now or have some terrible disfigurement . I can't imagine a sweet friendly dog doing this so they had to know. I am calling hoa and reporting all of this , they have been pretty lax about pets being off leashes and after today I just cannot be okay with that. Thank all of you for your kind words I do appreciate them , just everyone BE CAREFUL I swear all of this happened so fast.
by on Aug. 3, 2013 at 1:25 PM
Replies (711-720):
Dardenella
by on Aug. 4, 2013 at 12:08 AM

You told the ER doctors that the dog does not have its rabies shots didn;t you?

You need to file against the dog/ owners and have the dog seized and examined for rabies.  Otherwise your child may have to undergo a series of rabies shots.

JezeBellyDancer
by on Aug. 4, 2013 at 12:09 AM
I think their are laws about rabies shots for animals as well. I believe they have to put down the animal to find out if it's rabid or not, unless it has obvious symptoms. But things could have changed since my friend's daughter was bitten by a stray cat. File a police report and include pics of your daughter and make sure you get a copy of the report.
2ltlmonkeyz
by on Aug. 4, 2013 at 12:09 AM
2 moms liked this
AC has been by twice but they are not home, a police officer told me they will be taking the dog. I am afraid they are going to hide the dog. My ex husband and I have decided we are going to request the dog be put down.

Quoting Shadowgirl113:

If the dog actually bit her hand (I can't tell from the picture if it is teeth marks or a cut from te dogs nails.) animal control does need to be called and the dog quarenttined (sp, I cannot spell that) for a few days to ensure the dog does not have rabies. If the dog bit, the owners need to be installing a fence for their dog and you should be able to file with your neighbors homeowner insurance (if they have it) for your medical bills.

I was bitten by a neighborhood dog when i was 8. I still have the scar on my hand. The difference is the dog was behind a fence and I knew the dog could bite. The dog was quarenttined to be safe, but I made sure everyone involved knew that I knew the dog could bite and was in the wrong for being too close. This happened on your property because the owners did not properly have their dog restrained. Every animal bite needs to be treated as a possible rabies infection. Please contact the proper departments and have this dog checked. It could even save the dogs life if he is infected, so your are not being vindictive by taking precautions.

I hope your little one recovers quickly. It may look bad from the blood, but it doesn't look like too bad of an injury, I think it may have her more scared than anything. I still have problems with my hand, but I lost 2/3rds or the skin on my hand and a tendon was partially severed. It still swells from time to time and locks up my hand. It sucks.

Bigmetalchicken
by Ruby Member on Aug. 4, 2013 at 12:10 AM

Another reason they may choose to start them like this, is that until they actually HAVE the animal in custody, they can not be 100% sure the animal will be handed over. While I was working, I had several bite investigations where jerk owners either gave the dog away, surrendered the dog to a shelter several towns over, or just shot the dog in the head.  

They honestly believed that would absolve them of liability.  So until that animal is in the custody of the authorities, it is best to procede as if the animal was a random stray that will not be found.

Quoting asmalltowngirl:

I'm confused as to why they are starting rabies vaccinations on your dd. Why aren't they euthanizing the dog and testing it? The rabies series are very painful and there are a lot of shots to put her through if it isn't necessary.

We had to be vaccinated several years ago because a bat that tested positive was found in our bedroom.

2ltlmonkeyz
by on Aug. 4, 2013 at 12:10 AM
We already started the shots, they are trying to get the dog but the owners are not home I am thinking they are taking that dog somewhere to hide it.

Quoting Dardenella:

You told the ER doctors that the dog does not have its rabies shots didn;t you?

You need to file against the dog/ owners and have the dog seized and examined for rabies.  Otherwise your child may have to undergo a series of rabies shots.

wiersma98
by Bronze Member on Aug. 4, 2013 at 12:11 AM
2 moms liked this
1. The neighbor should be grateful you didn't beat the goddamn dog to DEATH.
2. You need to hire an attorney NOW & sue the shit out of that ignorant skank.

Not only should she pay ALL of your medical bills, but she damn well needs to pay your child for her pain & suffering, too.
2ltlmonkeyz
by on Aug. 4, 2013 at 12:15 AM
Yeah my ex is working on the legal end of things , I am focusing on dd, we are requesting the dog be put down.

Quoting wiersma98:

1. The neighbor should be grateful you didn't beat the goddamn dog to DEATH.

2. You need to hire an attorney NOW & sue the shit out of that ignorant skank.

Not only should she pay ALL of your medical bills, but she damn well needs to pay your child for her pain & suffering, too.

kamaree
by on Aug. 4, 2013 at 12:19 AM
1 mom liked this
I hope your daugther is doing better. You need to file a lawsuit against that crazy bitch for your daughters doctors bill and pain and suffering. That fucking dog could have hurt your precious daughter thank god you are a mother who watches her child when she's outside playing.
C8linVilla
by Bronze Member on Aug. 4, 2013 at 12:19 AM

Ok your comment *I cant imaging a sweet Fiendly dog doing this so they had to know* That statement is faulse. Any dog can attack for any reason. something can catch their eye. who knows the dog may have been playing. but any dog can be super sweet then turn at the blink of an eye. 

BUT You will not be liable.... dog was off its property first off so that right their means the dog and owner are at fault, 2nd it was on your property. you have the right to defend your property.  3rd your defending your kid and noone will come between a mother and her child over a dog. Sad as it is that dog needs an orange collar! Does not need to be put down as from the sounds of it the dog was more playing. If that dog wanted to harm or kill being the breed it is it would have done more damage. and once you started hitting it(seems you hit it a few times?) if it wanted to hurt anyone it would have gone for you the moment you hit it the first time. 

Good for you taking her to the ER and pressing charges that needs to be done. those idiots should deal with the consequences of owning a dog and not properly caring for it. hopefully the dog does not have rabies. the only big loser here is the dog :( Having bad owners and having instincts it could get put down. which if it needs to be Good but if it was truely just playing i hope its dealt with appropriatly. 

SMInProgress
by on Aug. 4, 2013 at 12:20 AM
1 mom liked this

I would hire a lawyer ASAP too.  There's so many stories not heard of dangerous dogs with irresponsible owners & they only get a slap on the wrist.  I'd make a point to sue this owner especially if they're not compliant & not answering the door to the authorities.  That means they value their dangerous dog more than the safety of small children.  This will just keep happening until someone makes them really pay for it this time.

When your kid is ready in the future, get her to face another sweet small dog so this won't turn into a phobia.  Speedy recovery & all the best to her, poor lil thing.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN