Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

i had no choice! *update*

Posted by   + Show Post
So my dd and ds were outside playing in our yard when all of a sudden I see this big German shepherd running for my girl. I swear things happened so fast after that I'm still trying to understand what happened. The next thing I know this dog is on top of my baby so I guess I just reacted I grabbed my neighbors garden gnome that sits in our shared yard and I just starting hitting the dog with it. Finally I made contact with its head and it yelped jumped walked around and then laid down on the sidewalk. My neighbors came running off the porch her dh had ran back in to get his pistol , he is a paramedic he looked dd over her face is a little scratched up and her hand was bleeding he said he thought she was fine I'm still debating about taking her to the ER maybe they need to check for a concussion? The owner walks up and starts freaking out on me telling me I WILL be paying the vet bills and I WILL be hearing from her attorney. I'm just like whatever I'm so shocked I did not agree to pay I was just like whatever you say. My neighbors husband asked if her dog had a rabies shot she said NO!!! She said her dog didn't need one bc it is an inside dog Wtf?? She then goes on to tell me how I beat her poor defenseless dog that was just trying to play . Idk what to do they left to take their dog to the vet, I called my ex husband he is calling his attorney to make sure I am not responsible for any bills. We have leash laws so he does not think I am. Even if I am , I'm not paying . Idk what to do , call the cops? Go to the ER? I just don't know. I never thought something like this could happen so quick. I was right freaking there.

I took her to the ER , I never did get her in the tub so when I walked in she was covered in blood and so was I I think it scared the nurses. The doctor wanted to start her on rabies shots since the dog attacked her for no reason. I wanted to talk to her pedi but he was pretty insistent on it so I agreed. He gave her an antibiotic called agmentin (sp?). She was bitten in the hand they cleaned her up but did not sew her up bc the risk of infection. I have to follow up with my pedi Tuesday and he will explain the shot schedule. Everyone was super helpful and did all of the reporting for me.

As far as the neighbors go , my neighbor told me she saw the AS truck down there but either they still were not back or were not answering. I will probably stay in for the day I am just to upset to go down there right now and my dd seems to be pretty upset. I have not put her down her dad came to check on her and he held her and she was fine until I went to pee the minute she could not see me she started freaking out the doc told me she may be extra clingy for a few days. I have had time to think about this whole thing and I am so pissed that someone could be so irresponsible with a large dog my dd is not even 2 and she could be dead right now or have some terrible disfigurement . I can't imagine a sweet friendly dog doing this so they had to know. I am calling hoa and reporting all of this , they have been pretty lax about pets being off leashes and after today I just cannot be okay with that. Thank all of you for your kind words I do appreciate them , just everyone BE CAREFUL I swear all of this happened so fast.
by on Aug. 3, 2013 at 1:25 PM
Replies (751-760):
Jennahalt
by Member on Aug. 4, 2013 at 1:32 AM
Aww poor baby. That does not sound like the dog was playing. You did the right thing. That is terrifying. My son got bit by my father in laws dog who had never had any shots and the animal control took him but now he's back. I'm still pissed at that.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Aug. 4, 2013 at 1:33 AM

It is like that in the US...

Quoting Janice278:

To bad you live in the USA. Where we live that dog would be collected by the dog-pound and after a court case against the owner destroyed.

While the neighbour who owned this viscous dog would foot all the bills.

Isn't it time you migrated to a more humane country.

Love Janice

Kayla060812
by on Aug. 4, 2013 at 1:34 AM

You did the right thing. I love animals but they  my babies lives are way more important.. I hope she is ok.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Aug. 4, 2013 at 1:37 AM
that's so scary. you did the right thing.
Caylaris1813
by on Aug. 4, 2013 at 1:39 AM

This. It's all about body language. If somebody can't read their own pet's body language, they have no business owning that pet. Same goes if they don't follow the leash laws regarding said pets. Only responsible pet owners deserve pets.

DH and I have already discussed if our dog ever snapped like that. We would no longer have her. Period. 

My mom doesn't view things the same way. Her rather large Akita bit DD's face and very easily could have ripped off her cheek if we hadn't been there(bottom of his jaw was on the inside of her mouth-punsture wound from it-, top was on the outside). DD was just stepping around him and he snapped. My mom said "bad dog", swatted him with a newspaper and that was the end of it. Kind of angering/saddening that she chose a dog over her grandchild. But, I digress.

Quoting SalemWitchChild:

I've been an animal owner all my life pretty much. There is a huge difference between an exuberant dog wanting to play a little too rough, and a dog attack. Generally their demenor changes and if you're paying attention you can tell the difference.

As much as I love dogs, any dog who attacked my child and drew blood would be a dead dog. You absolutely didn't do anything wrong and no, you aren't liable for the vet bills. However SHE is liable for hospital bills.

Deannastar
by on Aug. 4, 2013 at 1:42 AM
3 moms liked this

I worked for the largest insurance company in the US for years. This is what you do.

A. Get a police report. Call now and have them come to your house. Tell them everything. They will talk to your neighbors. Then they write their report. You will need this.

B. you did the absolute right thing in taking her to the ER. 

C. Take lots of photos. Lots. 

D. Keep a journal of who you talk to, what you did and what you do, how your baby is feeling, etc. 

E. call your homeowners or renters insurance company. (please tell me you have this!) tell them what happened. Submit a claim. They will be your attorneys and subrogate to the other insurance company. This is a looonnngggg process, but the correct one to take. They will subpoena the medical and police records. 

F. Assuming the other party has homeowners insurance, they have liability insurance to cover this sort of thing. This is actually a very typical claim, albeit horrible and traumatizing for your baby. 

G. If you do not have homeowners insurance, then you should still do everything I said, but you will have to privately contact an attorney to represent you. 

Best of luck. My daughter is 19 months and I would just go ballistic if anything like this happened to my baby. Stay strong and do what your gut tells you to do. 

thetrollcat
by Meow on Aug. 4, 2013 at 1:43 AM
1 mom liked this

oh wow that is so scary. My neighbors before we moved to a better side of town had very aggressive boxers. They would snarl and charge you if you were out front and they were on the loose. Several times I had to run after my daughter (at the time was a toddler and preschooler) and stand ground with the dogs. When both were out they were fearless and came after me. I had to run ass into my house. It was horrifying. I will never EVER trust a running loose dog.

propswife
by on Aug. 4, 2013 at 1:43 AM
1 mom liked this

You did the right thing by taking dd to the ER.  Dog bites can get infected very easily.  Watch dd's cuts very closely for signs of infection.  My son was bitten by neighbor's dog and had stitches, got infected and ped. took them out and we had to keep him out of the pool for another week and a half.  BTW, it was son's fault.  Neighbor had dog in house and told the kids not to go in.  They went anyway, still, neighbor offered to pay medical bills for my son.  Dog was all up to date and everything, just very protective of family, thus being put away while kids played.

The dog that jumped on your daughter was not just playing if you had to hit it more than once to knock it away.  GSD ARE herding dogs and if playing, might have nipped her tush or ankles but would not bite and hang on.  A playing dog would have backed off and wondered what was going on or turned on you because you hurt it.  A playing dog probably would also back off as soon as your DD started to scream and cry when she got hurt.  It also would have been licking her face if it had knocked her down while playing, but the herding dogs I have owned and known have always been much more careful with small children without having to be told so the owners were doing something wrong in their training. 

Dogs need vaccinations regardless of inside vs. outside.  Reporting to the police or animal control should at least get the neighbors to take care of their dog properly.  It probably depends on state laws whether they are responsible for dd's medical bills but the owner should have offered to pay them rather than threaten you with Vet bills.  You did the right thing, hopefully the neighbor will do the right thing by their dog and get it vaccinated and trained properly.

KeimUNCmomof3
by Gold Member on Aug. 4, 2013 at 1:46 AM

WTF, stupid dog owners --- oohhhh, this gets me sooo mad.  I hope your daughter will be OK.  I would freaking sue those a**holes and I would have shot the dog, damn...are they blind, she's effin' bleeding (oh, your dog wanted to play, yeah right...(wow, I'm pissed off for you)  !!!  Sorry that happened..and I know shit happens FAST.

Mommi1122
by on Aug. 4, 2013 at 1:47 AM
My son was bite last year, I took my baby to the er and they called animal control to test the dog and my husband called an attorney to sue!!! Which was settle out of court, the dog didn't have rabies thank god!!!! And f#@& that neighbors vet bill they wouldn't have a bill if their dog didn't attack your baby!!! Hope your baby is doing well!!!! Oh and now my boy who is 5 is afraid of dogs now thanks to the mutt who bit my baby
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured