Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Not walking yet?

Posted by on Aug. 3, 2013 at 2:30 PM
  • 31 Replies
My son will be a year old on the 13th and he won't even stand unsupported yet. Is this ok or should I ask his dr about it? My older son walked at 10 months so I'm kind of worried. I know babies do stuff in their own time, I just feel like he's way behind.
by on Aug. 3, 2013 at 2:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TurtleMomma82
by Barbie on Aug. 3, 2013 at 2:33 PM
1 mom liked this

Don't worry too much about it just yet.  The window for walking is 10-15 months.  Talk to your dr if you are concerned, but I wouldn't fret yet.

slashteddy
by Platinum Member on Aug. 3, 2013 at 2:34 PM
1 mom liked this
Hmm. I'd say to give it a couple of months, and if he hasnt made any progress then, to ask a doctor. I'm no expert though, and it never hurts to ask your doctor anyway. The worst thing they can do is tell you the same thing.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Aug. 3, 2013 at 2:34 PM
1 mom liked this

My two oldest daughters didn't walk on their own until 13and 14 months, doctor assured me it's not uncommon. My youngest at ten months also. None of my girls have any health or mental issues. 

mommy9242012
by on Aug. 3, 2013 at 2:35 PM
1 mom liked this

every child developed differently, so dont compare. My son didnt actually walk til about 2 weeks after his first bday.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Aug. 3, 2013 at 2:35 PM
1 mom liked this
I would give him until 16 months before I took him to a dr
JTE11
by Gold Member on Aug. 3, 2013 at 2:37 PM
1 mom liked this

He's not way behind, not yet. The general range for walking is bout 10-15 months, that's when most babies learn to walk, the average age range. Some are a little earlier, some later. Your Lo is still in that range. Encourage movement, stand him up and hold him under the armpits for short periods of time every day so he gets used to the feeling of pushing with his legs. If, by his 15 month appointment, he still isn't walking bring it up with his doctor. Even then it doesn't necessarily mean there is something wrong, but at 15 months it's good to start checking into it to rule out any issues and to get started with PT if necessary. Chances are he is probably just fine, though.

Sassy762
by CAFE SASSY HBIC on Aug. 3, 2013 at 2:37 PM
1 mom liked this

Every child is different. I had 2 that was walking 10 -10.5 months. Others didn't start until 12-14  months.

Mommy2b2many
by on Aug. 3, 2013 at 2:39 PM
1 mom liked this

My twins are 13 months and still not standing unsupported. Try not to worry too much. He has until 15months to be considered "behind". You can also try getting him one of those push-walker things to help him work on his walking skills. Good luck!!

aalmomma
by Bronze Member on Aug. 3, 2013 at 2:41 PM
Thank you all. He gets scared and always sits down immediately after letting go of whatever he is using for support. I guess I just need to figure out a way to get him over that.
tntmomof2
by Platinum Member on Aug. 3, 2013 at 2:41 PM
1 mom liked this
My 1st walked at 10 months. My 2nd didn't walk until he was 17 months. He didn't have any medical reason. He just didn't want to. I wouldn't worry too much but it can't hurt to have the dr check him out if to only ease your mind.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)