Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

We are THAT family

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
That's right. We are now that nasty family who's kid has head lice. Yes I know that haaving lice doesn't make you nasty that's just the way anyone acts when they hear the word. Anyway, my dd who is 4 has it again. I can't seem to get rid of it. What can I do? I've used mayo, store bought treatment, used tea tree oil and lice shield to try and prevent it. Nothing is working. I do not have the money to wash all of our stuff AGAIN so everything is now bagged up in an outside storage except 1 set of bedding and enough clothes to last a week. No stuffed animals no pillows, nothing except the absolute necessities. Everything that can't be washed was spreyed with the RID spray last week. I have vacuumed everything I could. Why is this still happening? I am buying some bombs tonight and bombing the house tomorrow and none of our stuff is coming out for 2 weeks. Any other suggestions?
Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 3, 2013 at 8:59 PM
Replies (21-30):
LilliesValley
by on Aug. 3, 2013 at 9:10 PM
1 mom liked this

It's still on something and isn't being killed or whoever gave it to your kid isn't treating it and your kid is being re-infected.

Maevelyn
by Gold Member on Aug. 3, 2013 at 9:11 PM

The rid has stopped working on a lot of the lice unfortunately. There is a professional service that treats your head with an FDA approved device (I think it heats the lice) picks the nits and puts on a preventative here in Jacksonville.  Kinda pricey but they have a 30 day guarantee. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Aug. 3, 2013 at 9:12 PM

Get some lice freee stuff from walmart or walgreens.  That stuff worked really well when my ss's were bringing it over constantly.  It stinks to high heaven like black licorice, but it worked.   I was going to include a link, but not sure I can do that.  But you can google it.

IrieLife
by on Aug. 3, 2013 at 9:12 PM
Tell your sister/in-law to treat her daughter before they play together again.
luckysevenwow
by Ruby Member on Aug. 3, 2013 at 9:12 PM

Lice is evil and getting more and more resistant as the years go on.

Set the stuff you bagged up in the sun, that will help kill them. 

Tea tree oil, straight out of the bottle with plastic bags on their (although it really was only one child being effected) heads, and to sit in the sun for an hour is what finally stopped it in my house, after almost a year. The loved my DD, poor girl was days away from having her head shaved.

Have you tried a prescription? I had no luck with it, but know a lot of people who do.

mistressflora
by Gold Member on Aug. 3, 2013 at 9:13 PM

call your ped, they should give you something, my son had lice like 3 times from one school and it was such a pain

MichelleSw
by CoolStory on Aug. 3, 2013 at 9:13 PM
1 mom liked this

Look up natural lice killer. You will HAVE to wash/spray everything again. Use hot water. There are natural remedies. My niece gave that crap to my daughter with super long, super thick hair. It was a freaking nightmare. You literally have to spend HOURS in their head looking for eggs and picking EACH one out. Sunlight is the BEST light to check for them. Get you some wet paper towel and once you pick an egg, wipe it there then flush. Repeat for a couple days and you should see nothing. They tried to bring my niece back full of lice so I wound up having to get hers out as well. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Aug. 3, 2013 at 9:13 PM
My kids just got head lice. I did the treatment and then it was suggested to me to put lots of hair gel in their hair for a few days. Makes their hair greasy and look gross but I will try anything to get rid of it.
wirehangers
by on Aug. 3, 2013 at 9:14 PM

My DD had it when she was younger.I had to treat her twice.The problem was getting out all the nits.Those "lice combs" don't work.I had to go through her hair,pinch the nits between my fingers and slide them all the way down her hair.It took a long time and I felt itchy for the next week,lol.

emmypaige
by on Aug. 3, 2013 at 9:15 PM
make sure you clean/vacuum the car, her car seat, book bags, stuffed animals... Also check for nits for a couple weeks, and you can use the hair dryer on her hair after baths the heat helps kill the nits.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN