Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

toss or keep?

Posted by on Aug. 4, 2013 at 11:40 AM
  • 17 Replies
I took this roast out of the freezer and put it in the fridge to start thawing last night. Just now I looked in the fridge and it has a big rip in the plastic. Normally before we put our groceries away we put each pack of meat in a big zip lock bag, but we forgot to buy them last time. Is it still o.k. or no? Roasts are so expensive!

I took a pic, I.d.k. why it's not on here. My tablet doesn't let me add it through edit, so if it's in my tablet, I'll add it in replies. It looks and smells o.k. I'm pretty sure the rip happened in the freezer, because I would have noticed it while putting it away.
by on Aug. 4, 2013 at 11:40 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
loisl25
by Gold Member on Aug. 4, 2013 at 11:40 AM
Bump
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Aug. 4, 2013 at 11:41 AM
Hmm keep I suppose, at least I would anyway. Lol.
malibucj
by Gold Member on Aug. 4, 2013 at 11:42 AM

If it has been frozen since you bought it, and has no freezer burn or bad smell. I'd say it's okay to keep.

ColtsFan1912
by FriendoftheFoot on Aug. 4, 2013 at 11:43 AM
1 mom liked this

I'm uber-paranoid about meat so I'd throw it out. But I'm a wee bit over the top paranoid about that kind of stuff.

PumpkinSpice8
by Gold Member on Aug. 4, 2013 at 11:43 AM
I would toss.. But I'm picky. Unless the rip came while in the fridge then Id keep it. But if it were frozen with the rip its probably bad.
disneymom2two
by Gold Member on Aug. 4, 2013 at 11:43 AM

Is there freezer burn on it?  Does it smell off?  If it doesn't have either of these, I'd keep it.  If it smelled at all off, I'd toss it.

Zazayam
by Platinum Member on Aug. 4, 2013 at 11:44 AM

I'd probably eat it. Unless it looked or smelled funky...

PinkButterfly66
by Ruby Member on Aug. 4, 2013 at 11:46 AM

If it doesn't look dried out or smell bad, keep.  

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Aug. 4, 2013 at 11:46 AM
I'd probably toss it, but I'm a little over cautious. Grocery store butcher equipment conditions are already sketchy, but it being ripped open and not know how long or what it's been around with that gash. The most dangerous germs and bacteria you won't be able to see.
Lauriemom
by Platinum Member on Aug. 4, 2013 at 11:47 AM

I am sure it is fine.  I would thaw it and make sure it smelled ok, which I am sure it does.

I bet worst case scenerio, a bit of the tip is a bit freezer burned, but not "bad".

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured