Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

School supply vent!!!

Posted by on Aug. 4, 2013 at 11:44 AM
  • 71 Replies
6 moms liked this
Quit bitching about the supply lusts, we aren't the teacher, we don't know why certain supplies are requested, but they know why, they have planned for the year, they have specific intentions for everything on that list. You are not supplying her home with cleaning supplies- she is going to use that stuff to clean up after your child, since you cut the apron strings and won't be there to do it. The sticky notes aren't for her to leave reminders that Susie broke her headphones and that she needs to send you a third request to send in the second set that should have been there the first day. The dry erase markets aren't for her, she uses a magic pen on the smart board now, the dry erase markers are for your child to use a mini dry erase board to practice writing, spelling and math (it cuts down on the amount of paper you could have been requested to send in). The tissues, Lysol wipes, hand soap, etc that is requested- sure the school could provide that stuff, but what part of your child's education do you want lost? Art, music, gym?
Just suck it up, buy the list as requested, and know that your child will reap the benefit of an efficiently run classroom!
by on Aug. 4, 2013 at 11:44 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
catngabsmom
by Silver Member on Aug. 4, 2013 at 12:07 PM
Bump
drowningmama
by Platinum Member on Aug. 4, 2013 at 12:13 PM
Im not bitching but...I would like to know how these teachers plan all year for these certain supplies when the lists never change. My oldest is 12 and the lists are all the same every year. Its just a form list - not a real list.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Aug. 4, 2013 at 12:17 PM
1 mom liked this

Ahh, supply lust.

catngabsmom
by Silver Member on Aug. 4, 2013 at 12:18 PM
Probably because they do this every year, my dd's are 4th and 5th grade, the lists slightly fluctuate, but generally are about the same. It's probably the same concept of your grocery list, you know what it takes to run your house, because you do it year after year, hand your list to a stranger and she may look at it and say "WTF, why does she need this and four of those?"

Quoting drowningmama:

Im not bitching but...I would like to know how these teachers plan all year for these certain supplies when the lists never change. My oldest is 12 and the lists are all the same every year. Its just a form list - not a real list.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Aug. 4, 2013 at 12:19 PM
I didn't buy everything on the list, i have already spent $70 and i still have to buy uniforms and i will not be getting anything else on the list.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Aug. 4, 2013 at 12:20 PM

If teachers plan SO well, then why the need to send out a 'generalized' school supply list to the stores, THEN turn around and send home a class 'specific' supply list once the kiddos start going to school and supplies have already been bought? Explain that one. Sorry, but my dd is going into third grade and so far, this has happened at EVERY school, that she has attended. Doesn't make sense to me.

catngabsmom
by Silver Member on Aug. 4, 2013 at 12:20 PM
1 mom liked this
I secretly lust after glue sticks!!! Shh, don't tell anyone!!

Quoting Anonymous:

Ahh, supply lust.

team_porculoon
by on Aug. 4, 2013 at 12:21 PM
My main issue is asking for supplies at the beginning of the year - quite a bit too, then asking again for that same list at least two other times in the year and for small "donations" throughout. I don't understand where it's all going.
team_porculoon
by on Aug. 4, 2013 at 12:21 PM
Mine too.

Quoting Anonymous:

If teachers plan SO well, then why the need to send out a 'generalized' school supply list to the stores, THEN turn around and send home a class 'specific' supply list once the kiddos start going to school and supplies have already been bought? Explain that one. Sorry, but my dd is going into third grade and so far, this has happened at EVERY school, that she has attended. Doesn't make sense to me.

alexsmomaubrys2
by Ruby Member on Aug. 4, 2013 at 12:22 PM
2 moms liked this

Never complained once. 

Last year DH & I went to a meeting where the school board and the revenue board discussed teacher salaries, funding for the schools both supplies and maintenance. I was HORRIFIED! 

Our teachers do such a great job, they love the kids but haven't had a raise in 8 years!!!!! There isn't any money for extra supplies and our art department only gets $250/yr of 650 kids, that is why we pay $15/per kid and our PTA raises money that the art department. 

They try so hard not to let the money shortage affect the kids education, I'll give them everything I can to make it easier for them. 

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickersAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)